You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 423397  

Print Page



© Mr Stewart Preston LRPS

IoE Number: 423397
Location: ACORN BANK MILL TO NORTH WEST OF ACORN BANK HOUSE,
  TEMPLE SOWERBY, EDEN, CUMBRIA
Photographer: Mr Stewart Preston LRPS
Date Photographed: 30 August 1999
Date listed: 12 April 1984
Date of last amendment: 12 April 1984
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

NY 62 NWTEMPLE SOWERBY2(INSET)/118 Acorn Bank Mill tonorth-west of

NY 62 NW TEMPLE SOWERBY 2(INSET)/118 Acorn Bank Mill to north-west of Acorn Bank House G.V. II Mill, late C18 with later additions. Original building of coursed, squared rubble with quoins, C19 additions to either end are of squared, snecked rubble. Graduated slate roofs are now, 1983, partly collapsed. 2 storeys. Original 4- bay building has 2 casements to left of door with one casement and inserted loft door to 1st floor; small decorative stone is set in wall above entrance, possibly a datestone but now badly weathered. Single-bay addition to left has small wagon door with casement above; 3-bay addition to right has 2 ground-floor doors and one loft door. EDMONSON 1822 is carved on internal west wall of central block. Machinery is still in situ; one of the mill stones is mid C19 by COTTON & DAVIES, LIVERPOOL. The 2 cast-iron water wheels survive; the overshot wheel which powered the mill machinery seems to pre-date the undershot wheel. This latter bears the foundry mark of STALKER BROS, CASTLE FOUNDRY, PENRITH, established in 1859; it was used to power tub haulage by continuous rope in the local mine until the mid C20.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.