© Mr Anthony Rau
PICCADILLY CIRCUS UNDERGROUND STATION BOOKING HALL CONCOURSE AND BRONZEWORK TO PAVEMENT SUBWAY ENTRANCES, PICCADILLY CIRCUS W1
WESTMINSTER, CITY OF WESTMINSTER, GREATER LONDON
Mr Anthony Rau
02 October 2005
07 March 1984
Date of last amendment:
07 March 1984
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ 2980 PICCADILLY CIRCUS W1
Piccadilly Circus Underground
1900/71/74 station booking hall concourse
and bronzework to pavement
07-03-84 subway entrances
London Underground Station. 1906, rebuilt 1925-8 to the designs of Charles Holden. Reinforced concrete, the concourse areas and access subways clad in travertine. The subway entrances on the pavement are framed by bronzed balustered railings with fishscale mouldings and ball finials, with panelled bronze lampstandards with polygonal, finialed bronzed cased lamps, supporing illuminated London Transport emblem as overthrow.
There are four subways. Subway No. 1 with renewed travertine laid vertically. The other subways retain many original features. Subway No.2, with two debouchements, has travertine walls and slight moulded cornice. It has a central downward tapered grained timber column with a bronze capital and brass banding. Between the two debouchements are two shopfronts, set either side of modern entrance. Subway with bronze poster boards. Directional signs to "TRAINS", with three feathers. Subway No. 3 has travertine-lined walls with central travertine-lined square columns, and Subway 4 also has travertine walls. Both have bronze posterboards.
Central concourse is circular, with access to platforms from escalator hall placed in the middle. Unfilled travertine-lined walls, with small cornice moulding. There are two lines of columns, of red scagliola with brass bands, and with bronze capitals incorporating hanging lantern fittings. There are original directional signs incorporated in the walls, over bronze panels. Original shopfronts. Particularly handsome are the shopfronts in the centre of the drum, set behind inner row of columns and with fluted bottom panel. A feature of the central drum is a map of the world's timezones.
Travertine concourse extends to top of escalator shafts, with central fluted column bearing a clock. A panel records the opening of the station by the Mayor of Westminster, Vivian B Rogers, on 10 December 1928. The double escalator hall gives a clear plan to the two platforms.
This was designed as the fulcrum of the Underground system, demonstrating a new approach to clear planning in a clean, modern idiom which is nevertheless richly detailed.
Laurence Menear, London's Underground Stations, 1985
David Lawrence, Underground London, 1994