You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 425126  

Print Page



© Mr Richard Storey

IoE Number: 425126
Location: CHURCH OF ST PETER,
  OUSDEN, ST EDMUNDSBURY, SUFFOLK
Photographer: Mr Richard Storey
Date Photographed: 11 July 2003
Date listed: 19 December 1961
Date of last amendment: 19 December 1961
Grade A

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

1.OUSDENOUSDEN2006Church of St PeterTL 75 NW 3/38119.12.61

OUSDEN 832/3/381 OUSDEN 19-DEC-61 CHURCH OF ST PETER I The tower and nave of the church are C12 (The castellated parapet of the tower is later). The chancel and a memorial pew (now used as a vestry) on the north side were built in the C18. The nave was extended some 19 ft in 1850. The church is of flint and stone rubble with dressed stone quoins. The tower, part of which has been cement rendered has Norman slit windows in the lower part and the upper part has round headed windows and engaged columns at the external angles. The north doorway is mainly C12 and has a semi-circular arch with a bold roll moulding and 2 nook shafts, the west one is Norman and the east one is C13, with moulded cap and base. The south doorway (now blocked) is Norman, with an arched head of Roman tiles, a chip-carved lintel with star pattern ornamentation and a tympanum with chequer work. The west jamb has a "Mass" dial with small holes to mark the hours. The tower stands between the chancel and nave and the interior has Norman arches on the east and west sides, with bold roll mouldings, impost blocks and engaged nook shafts. The font is C14, octagonal with ornamented panels and a tapering traceried shaft. The communion rail, with turned balusters, is late C17 and the Octagonal pulpit is C18. There is a wall monument to Laeticia Mosley (d. 1619), also Hanoverian arms, probably painted over Stuart. The Church of St Peter, The Stables, formerly to Ousden Hall and dovecote form a group.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.