You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 425397  

Print Page



© Mr Peter J Ellis

IoE Number: 425397
Location: ENGINE HOUSE, BOILER HOUSE AND WORKSHOP AT PAPPLEWICK PUMPING STATION, LONGDALE LANE (west side)
  PAPPLEWICK, GEDLING, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Peter J Ellis
Date Photographed: 23 August 2007
Date listed: 18 October 1971
Date of last amendment: 18 October 1971
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

PAPPLEWICKLONGDALE LANESK 55 SE(west side)2/134Engine house, boilerhouse and workshop

PAPPLEWICK LONGDALE LANE SK 55 SE (west side) 2/134 Engine house, boiler house and workshop 18.10.71 at Papplewick Pump- ing Station G.V. II* Water pumping station. 1881 by M. O. Tarbotton for Nottingham Corporation Water Department. Gothic Revival style. Brick with 2 coloured hipped slate roof. Ashlar and moulded brick dressings. Plinth, moulded sill band and blocking course. Linked hood moulds. Billeted eaves. Reeded pilasters with palmette capitals. Cast iron ridges and finials. Windows are mainly round headed Venetian double lancets with central herms. East front has balustraded steps to central timber porch with mansard roof carried on balusters and herms. Round headed matchboard door with trace red tympanum and hood mould. Above, central blind balcony and above it, double lancet. South side has 2 and north side 4 casements in plinth. Each side has 4 double lancets. Roof has diagonally set square ventilation louvre with slated base and pyramidal roof with finial. Symmetrical boiler house, 3 bays long by 6 bays wide, has battered plinth. North side has 6 blind windows. Gabled west end has 3 round headed openings with pairs of close boarded doors. Return angles to east have each a blind window. South side has, to left, 6 bay workshop. To its right, 4 blind windows. Workshop has at each end 3 and on south side, 6 round headed cast iron casements. Roof has 4 louvred gabled dormers. Engine house interior has painted dado with moulded rail. Dentillated and moulded pivot beam with a pair of moulded square iron flanking piers on granite plinths. 4 panelled square iron intermediate piers with elaborate brass ornament and capitals representing fish, water plants and water birds. On each side, 4 stained glass windows depicting similar subjects. Curved, patterned iron stair to packing flat and similar stair to beam pivot level. Heavy bolection moulded roof with queen post trusses, double purlins and moulded ashlar corbels. Lifting eyes at each intersection. Fittings include 2 double acting beam engines, 1884, by James Watt & Co. Pair of hand winches, flow meter, clock, 2 hanging oil lamps, racks for barring levers and steel guardrails on iron stanchions. Boiler house has close boarded door to engine house. Chanelled roof beams on round iron columns. Triangulated iron roof trusses. Fittings include 3 brick clad Lancashire boilers, 1883, by W. J. Galloway & Sons, one converted to oil firing, and 3 similar Pillatt Perfect Combustion Furnaces. The engines, boilers and ancillary equipment are complete and useable. Workshop has moulded king post roof with curved brackets. Contents include 2 cylinder steam engine with loop connecting rod by Thomas Matthews. This building is one of three pumping stations built in the late C19 to serve Nottingham City. It is the most ornate and complete of the two which survive. Now a working museum administered by the Papplewick Pumping Station Trust. Scheduled Ancient Monument.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.