You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 426090  

Print Page



© Dr Ed Lorch

IoE Number: 426090
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARGARET, ST MARGARETS ROAD (west side)
  TINTINHULL, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Dr Ed Lorch
Date Photographed: 24 August 2000
Date listed: 19 April 1961
Date of last amendment: 19 April 1961
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

Church of St Margaret, St Margaret's Road. 13/378 6/378 ------------------------------------ Church of St Margaret, St Margaret's Road. 13/378 6/378 ------------------------------------ TINTINHULL CP ST. MARGARET'S ROAD (West side) ST4919 13/378 Church of St. Margaret 19.4.61 GV I Anglican parish church. C13 et seq but with little obvious C19 work. Ham stone rubble, some cut and squared ashlar dressings; stone slate roof to chancel, with coped east gable, and plain clay tiles to nave, with stepped coped gables with finials, behind plain parapets. Two-cell plan of 3-bay chancel, 4-bay nave, with north tower at nave/chancel junction, south porch, and C20 vestry at west end. Chancel mostly C13, with corner and bay buttresses with offsets, corbel table eaves course: east window a C19 4-centre arched 5-light with reticulated tracery; north and south sides have 2-light later C13 traceried windows, with plain stopped labels, with a pointed arched doorway with arched label under flat stone hood to west bay south side: some C17 and C18 memorial slabs against north wall. Nave similar in character, but with low parapets; single 3- light C15 window in hollowed recess on north side, which cuts across a former buttress, and a blocked pointed arched doorway opposite south porch; west window 5-light to match: on south side the east bay has a large C15 3-light window in hollowed recess with square-stop label, then a smaller C14 3-light window under headstop label, the south porch, and a tall slim 2-light flat-headed traceried window under square label, probably C14. South porch gabled, with side buttresses; moulded pointed C14 arch with square-stop label; inside a ribbed pointed vault of 2 bays, with side shafts and bosses, C14 work re-roofed in 1534; plain inner doorway with pointed arched niche over. The C20 west vestry (possibly by Sir Ninian Comper, who designed the churchyard cross (qv)) has a flat roof behind an angled coped parapet; plain leaded windows, door on south site. Tower C13, with top stage and turret stair of 1516-17, in 3 stages: corner buttresses to north face, also octagonal stair turret this side; lowest stage has triangular-arched doorway in east wall under square label, with slim trefoil-arched light over and also on west face; roll string mould, then pairs slim lancet windows to east and west faces, with plain rectangular window under on west side; stage 3 has groups of 3 lancets to match, over double string; plain parapet with gargoyles to string: door with steps up on north-west angle of stair turret. Inside, the chancel mostly C13 in character, but with early C20 king-post roof; side windows have fine semi-circular rere-arches with attached shafts and continuous cill string; good C13 double piscina; wide chancel arch of early C14, with possibly contemporary low stone walls and small stoup on nave north side. Nave has C19 arch-braced roof, no rere-arches to windows except to that part-hidden behind pulpit, obscured by tower; continuous cill string. Fittings include C17 altar table, a C17 octagonal panelled timber pulpit with matching backboard and tester; C15 octagonal font with panelled bowl and underbowl, plain shaft; C18 commandment boards, canvas on wood; a few medieval encaustic floor tiles in step to sanctuary; also a number of bench ends, made 1511-12, three of which have hinged stools with stays, possibly for servants. Tower has a C16 timber panel roof with moulded beams. Memorials include several brasses set into chancel floor, one to John Heth, priest, died 1464, and others C17; a Ham and Keinton stone memorial in north wall of sanctuary, Corinthian columns and full entablature with cartouche of arms to Thomas Napper, died 1692; on south chancel wall a black and white marble monument to John Napper died 1778; also unusual Ham stone plaque with pediment in blocked north nave doorway to John Priddle, died 1773. The Nappers lived at the Parsonage, now Tintinhull Court (q.v) from 1546, and also at Tintinhull House (q.v) until the end of C18. Stained glass by F.C. Eden in east window. (Pevsner, N, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958; Oswald, A, Country Life, 12 April, 1956, article p 736 et seq).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.