© Mr Geoff Dowling ARPS
GREEK ORTHODOX CATHEDRAL, ARTHUR PLACE
BIRMINGHAM, BIRMINGHAM, WEST MIDLANDS
Mr Geoff Dowling ARPS
04 December 2001
18 October 1995
Date of last amendment:
18 October 1995
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SP 0587 SE BIRMINGHAM ARTHUR PLACE
27/10141 Greek Orthodox Cathedral
Catholic Apostolic church, now Greek Orthodox Cathedral. 1873, by Julius Alfred Chatwin; additions of1898 and 1900. English bond brown bricks with blue brick bands and diapering and terracotta dressings. Steeply-pitched plain tile roof with moulded terracotta coping to gable-ends with corbelled kneelers and apex crosses. PLAN: 8-bay nave with low aisles; apsidal chancel; apsidal baptistry at west end; south chapel; circular chapter house, cloister and porch on north west corner; vestry on north side. The vestry, chapter house and cloister were added circa 1900. High Victorian Gothic style with Geometric tracery.
EXTERIOR: The lofty 8-bay nave has tall clerestory windows with terracotta Geometric tracery 2-light windows, between which there are large brick buttresses with set-offs, rising from low aisles. The chancel has a polygonal apse and big lancets. The west end has polygonal baptistry with large buttresses at the angles and tall2-light windows between with Geometric tracery and hipped roof with wrought-iron apex cross and above in gable of nave a pointed arch window with Geometric tracery; to left, circular chapter house with moulded brick pointed windows and conical roof with wrought-iron cross at apex; gabled porch on left with moulded pointed arch. On south side apsidal deaconesses room with semi-conical roof with wrought-iron cross. INTERIOR: The brick walls have been painted white. Lofty interior with timber roof with arched braces on small hammerbeams with braces on clustered shafts between tall clerestory windows. Low 8-bay arcades with pointed moulded brick arches on squat cylindrical piers with scalloped capitals. Tall chancel arch and baptistry arch at west end with moulded arches on clustered shafts set on corbels. The chancel walls are similarly treated with shafts between the windows supporting the braces of the chancel roofs hammerbeams. Stone reredos with spires and pinnacles. Later screen. Arcaded stone pulpit and font. Organ chamber with ornate timber gallery. Victorian pews. Stained glass to chancel apse windows. SOURCE: Buildings of England, p.139.