You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 426254  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 426254
Location: TINTINHULL COURT, ST MARGARETS ROAD (west side)
  TINTINHULL, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 19 April 1961
Date of last amendment: 28 April 1987
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

Tintinhull Court, St Margaret's Road. 13/391 6/391 ------------------------------------ Tintinhull Court, St Margaret's Road. 13/391 6/391 ------------------------------------ ST4919 TINTINHULL CP ST. MARGARET'S ROAD (West side) 13/391 Tintinhull Court 19.4.61 GV II Large detached house, formerly parsonage. Medieval basis and plan, re-modelled 1678, 1777 and 1927. Ham stone rubble with ashlar dressings; Welsh slate roof between coped gables; ashlar chimney stacks, 'Z' plan. Two storeys with attics, east elevation 8 bays. Plinth to bays 1, 2 and 3 only: bays 1 and 2 are a projecting gable with 2-light ovolo-mould mullioned and transomed windows with square labels, and central oval light in gable: bay 3 may be a late medieval fragment which also projects, with angled corner buttress and battlemented parapet; hollow- chamfer mullioned windows of 3 lights, the lower large and with relieving arch over; bay 4 has an apparent garderobe in corner; bays 5 to 8 have 2- light hollow-chamfer mullioned and transomed windows under square labels, and between bays, as well as to bay 4 small hipped-roof dormers with 2- light casement windows: all windows rectangular leaded: to lower bay 5 the entrance door, seamingly earlier C17, with strapwork covermoulds to boarding, set in a moulded semi-circular doorway with lozenge decorated impost blocks and keystone; to right a pair of small cusped lancet windows. North elevation overlooking churchyard has 3 bays, of which bay 1 is an end gable, with 2-light chamfer-mullioned windows with labels to first floor and attic, and matching single-light with label left of bay 2; bays 2 and 3 have C18 mullioned windows with 4-centre arched lights, 2-light above without label, 4-light below under shared label: at west end a single- storey extension to match, with another 4-light window and south elevation of similar character. Only part of ground floor inspected; work mostly C17 and C18 in character but the staircase is early C20: south wing has panelled rooms, the centre room being of later C17 and transitional between Jacobean and Queen Anne, with a deep moulded ceiling which could be later; door into hall set into semi-circular arch resembling the front door; in room to north of entrance passage a recently exposed doorway, probably medieval. Rear wing dated 1777; the 1927 works presumably include the staircase and a bay window on the west elevation. One of the homes of the Napper family for some 250 years; originally a medieval parsonage house, the Nappers took out the first least in 1546, soon after the dissolution of Montacute Priory: several members of the family buried in the church and Churchyard of St. Margaret adjoining (q.v). (Oswald, A. Country Life, April 1, 1956, article p 756 et seq.)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.