You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 428503  

Print Page



© Mr Geoffrey R Hood LRPS, CPAGB

IoE Number: 428503
Location: TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL IVY LEIGH AND ATTACHED COTTAGES, (north side)
  ALREWAS, LICHFIELD, STAFFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Geoffrey R Hood LRPS, CPAGB
Date Photographed: 13 March 2007
Date listed: 10 February 1995
Date of last amendment: 10 February 1995
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK 11 SWALREWASTRENT AND MERSEYCANAL (North side)3/10005Fradley JunctionIvy Leigh and attached

SK 11 SW ALREWAS TRENT AND MERSEY CANAL (North side) 3/10005 Fradley Junction Ivy Leigh and attached cottages GV II Terrace of 3 canal workers' cottages. Red brick with slate roofs. Built in 2 separate stages around the early C19. 2 storey, double pile, fronting onto canal. Single fronted cottage (probably earlier phase) to left. Entrance to left with semicircular headed lintel and fanlight. 12-light sash windows. It has been rebuilt and possibly extended to rear. 2 symmetrical, double-fronted cottages to right. Central entrances (C20 wooden porch to right-hand cottage, Ivy Leigh). 12-light sash windows with stone lintels at ground floor level. 2 ridge chimney stacks and one end stack to right side. The Trent and Mersey Canal was built between 1766 and 1777 by James Brindley and Hugh Henshall. The cottages form part of a group of early buildings at the junction with the Coventry Canal (passed by Act of Parliament in 1768) and are listed for group value. Charles Hadfield, The Canals of the West Midlands (1966) Jean Lindsay, The Trent and Mersey Canal (1979)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.