You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 429166  

Print Page



© Dr Gareth Morgan

IoE Number: 429166
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY MAGDALENE,
  CLATWORTHY, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Dr Gareth Morgan
Date Photographed: 25 September 2001
Date listed: 22 May 1969
Date of last amendment: 22 May 1969
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST03SE CLATWORTHY CPCLATWORTHY VILLAGE6/47Church of St any Magdalene

ST03SE CLATWORTHY CP CLATWORTHY VILLAGE 6/47 Church of St any Magdalene 22.5.69 GV II Parish church. Tower C12, rave rebuilt 1872, chancel rebuilt and tower altered 1860-83, Random rubble local stone, flat bedded in tower, Bath stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges, decorative ridge tiles. West tower, 2-bay nave with north aisle, chancel and north-east vestry. Crenellated 2-stage tower with buttresses to east front only, string course, louvred lancet bell-openings, string course cut by voussoirs of earlier window opening, 3-light C19 west window below; stepped buttress rising to lancet, C19 porch, moulded semi-circular arched entrance with hood mould, moulded pointed arch inner doorway with square hole in left jamb, remains of piece of unidentified medieval stonework in porch, C19 roof and panelled door, 3-light window right, hoodmould with face terminals as on other windows, gabled top to buttress at junction with chancel, two 2-light windows, 3-light east window, chamfered semi-circular headed doorway to vestry probably reset, 2 lancets on north front, two 2-light windows to nave, one at west end where aisle wall incorporates tower buttress. Interior rendered. C19 chancel arch with corbelled inner arch, similar to tower. C19 scissor truss roots, wall plate in chancel, lean-to roof in aisle. C19 fittings including good brass lectern with sconces, possibly by Hardman of Birmingham. (Kelly's Directory, 1914; Photograph in NMR).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.