© Mr Robin Downes
HELE BRIDGE AT NGR 9331 2782,
BROMPTON REGIS, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr Robin Downes
11 April 2003
04 August 1986
Date of last amendment:
04 August 1986
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SS92NW DULVERTON CP -
9/53 Hele Bridge at NGR SS 9331 2782
Road bridge over River Exe. Medieval in origin, repaired 1628 and 1866, widened on south side in 1892 by G B Fisher for
Somerset County Council. Random rubble local stone with rubble voussoirs and hit-and-miss coping to parapet, south side
squared, irregularly coursed local stone with blue glazed brick voussoirs and saddleback coping. Three arch span;
4-centred arches on north side flanking pointed cutwaters with rubble tops, circular iron tie above apex of centre
arch; the earlier parapet seems to have extended to the top of the cutwaters and is visible in the south-west corner.
South side, semi-circular headed arches, pointed cutwater between with parapet extended along the line of the cutwaters
to form recesses similar to those found on medieval packhorse bridges. The soffits of the arches have been extended in
brick on the south side and would appear to indicate 2 periods of building. An interesting example of how a medieval
bridge has been adapted to modern needs. Ogilby in 1675 includes the road from Hele Bridge to Dulverton in his
Bridgwater-Barnstaple road. (Bently and Murless, Somerset Roads, 1985; Photograph in NMR).