You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 429205  

Print Page



© Mr John H. Sparkes

IoE Number: 429205
Location: MARSH BRIDGE AT NGR SS 9069 2895,
  DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr John H. Sparkes
Date Photographed: 27 June 2006
Date listed: 04 August 1986
Date of last amendment: 04 August 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SS92NW DULVERTON CP-9/56Marsh Bridge at NGR SS 9069 2895

SS92NW DULVERTON CP - 9/56 Marsh Bridge at NGR SS 9069 2895 - - II Road bridge over River Barle. Probably C18, repaired 1818-9, altered 1866-7 when central pier removed and iron bridge inserted, parapet destroyed 1952, reconstructed in steel 1979-80. Early C19 repairs by John Stone, mid C19 alterations by County Surveyor, Arthur Whitehead, iron work by Hennet and Spink of Bridgewater. Flat bedded local stone, rubble voussoirs and steel. Plan: semi-circular head arched outer bays, centre spanned by steel bridge resting on pointed cutwater piers, Latticework steel parapet, pyramid topped lattice work piers flanking centre span, recuring motif of St Andrew's Cross. The original use of cast iron was suggested in 1851 by the preceeding County Surveyor Richard Carver. A chapel of ease was erected in the mid C19 on the north bank beside the bridge by John Locke of Northmoor (not included), which burnt down 1908. (Greenfield, Exmoor Review, 1980; Photograph in NMR; Buchanan, Batsford Guide to the Archaeology of Central and Southern England, 1980).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.