You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 429314  

Print Page



© Mr Robin Downes

IoE Number: 429314
Location: CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH AND HALL, DWARF WALL, RAILINGS AND GATE ABUTTING NORTH CORNER, CHAPEL STREET (west side)
  DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Robin Downes
Date Photographed: 11 April 2003
Date listed: 04 August 1986
Date of last amendment: 04 August 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SS9127 DULVERTON CPCHAPEL STREET (West side)15/70Congregational Church and hall,dwarf wall, railings and gate

SS9127 DULVERTON CP CHAPEL STREET (West side) 15/70 Congregational Church and hall, dwarf wall, railings and gate - abutting north corner - II Chapel with hall and schoolrooms adjoining. bated 1831 and 1897. Render grooved as ashlar, slobbered rubble north front, slate hung rear elevation to chapel, exposed rubble and brick to hall, slate roofs, overhanging eaves. Plan: parallel range, chapel extended with school rooms over hall and single storey vestry set at an angle at east end. Gable fronted chapels three 3-light divided tracery windows, centre window shorter above square headed entrance, double panelled doors with fluted architrave, date stone in gabled end 1831. To right, 2-storey, 3-bays cruciform windows with segmental heads, central semi-circular-headed doorway, 6-panel door, datestone in gable end 1897. Interior of chapel, panelled wooden gallery on 3 sides, west end supported by 2 cast iron columns with cavetto moulded capitals, plain cast iron columns supporting returns, all painted to simulate marble. Late C19 fittings. Early C19 stick stair rising in south-west corner with turned newels. East end wall painted with inscription "Holiness becometh thy house O Lord". Hall adjoining with 5 small schoolrooms on first floor, all with stained pine matchboard panelled dados, hall similar with 4 wood and cast iron benches combined with desks, and 2 plain benches, all by George Hammer of London. Interesting examples of late C19 patent furniture. Random rubble boundary wall with cement coping, spearhead railings and gate. Returned on north-nest corner of chapel to Chapel Cottages (not included in this list), about 10 m in length. Sir George Williams founder of the YMCA who was born at Ashway Farmhouse (qv), worshipped here as a boy.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.