You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 429442  

Print Page



© Mr Andrew Cooper

IoE Number: 429442
Location: ANGLO-SCOTIAN MILLS, BLOCK OCCUPIED BY ARIEL PRESSINGS LIMITED, WOLLATON ROAD (east side)
  BEESTON, BROXTOWE, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Andrew Cooper
Date Photographed: 30 June 2001
Date listed: 06 January 1976
Date of last amendment: 06 January 1976
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK 53 NWBEESTON AND STAPLEFORDWOLLATON ROAD(east side)2/61Anglo-Scotian Mills, block6.1.76occupied by Ariel

SK 53 NW BEESTON AND STAPLEFORD WOLLATON ROAD (east side) 2/61 Anglo-Scotian Mills, block 6.1.76 occupied by Ariel Pressings Ltd GV II Lace and shawl factory warehouse. 1892. By J Huckerby for F Wilkinson. Crenellated Gothic style. Brick with slate roof. White and blue brick and ashlar dressings. Chamfered plinth, brick bands, crenellated parapet. White brick crosslets. Symmetrical elevation, 4 storeys, 12 bays. Front windows are wooden casements with chamfered and moulded pointed reveals. Rear windows are mainly iron glazing bar casements with segmental heads. Front has keystoned central entry flanked by single octagonal towers and beyond, 5 casements. Beyond again, 2 matching corner towers. Above, 2 plaques above entry inscribed 'Laboramus' and 12 casements. Central bay has stepped gable with 3 blank lan- cets and cross finial. Rear elevation has single storey additions, mid C20, and off-centre water tower with dentillated cornice. Above, 3 floors each with 9 casements and a hoist door. This building was subsequently used as a tene- ment lace factory. Ref;Mason, S A. Machine Made Lace in Beeston. Nottingham Industrial Archaeology Society Journal. Vol 10, part 2, Mar 1985, pp 1-7 and fig 10.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.