You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 429463  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 429463
Location: PIXTON PARK,
  DULVERTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 06 April 1959
Date of last amendment: 06 April 1959
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SS92NW DULVERTON CPPIXTON PARK

SS92NW DULVERTON CP PIXTON PARK 9/86 Pixton Park 6.4.59 - II* Country house. Circa 1760, altered internally cl820, 1870 again altered internally, west wing with billiard room added, entrance resited on north front, entrance hall with service wing added on east side. Built for the Acland family, altered by the Earl of Carnarvon. Roughcast over rubble, Ham stone dressings, hipped slate roofs, mansard to billiard wing, tall stacks rising on returns, modillion cornice on south front. Plan: original block double pile. Billiard room added south-west corner, entrance porch added north-east corner opening into through corridor with service wing adjoining an east front. South front: original block 3-storey, billiard wing 2-storey plus attic, 2:1:3:1 bays, pediment to central 3 bays, giant Ionic pilasters divided by flat string course set over basement, second floor 9-pane sash windows, 12-pane first floor, ground floor 18-pane in billiard wing, 12-pane right, arch head niches with aprons above in centre pedimented doorcase right in single storey entrance wing, service wing beyond to right. Interior: hall altered in 1870, divided by 3-bay arcade, staircase rising on north front, to south top lit gallery continued around 2 storeys supported by large modillion brackets. Some early C19 plaster cornices in south front rooms and white marble chimney piece, (the dining room chimney piece removed after former listing), panelled shutters, pedimented doorcases and original doors. It is believed that the house was originally entered on the east front via a courtyard formed from 2 flanking service wings demolished in 1870. This was the home of Col Molyneux Herbert who lies in the memorial chapel in Brushford Church (qv). Photographs in NMR; Press, Somersetshire County Houses and Villages, 1931).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.