© Dr Gareth Morgan
REMAINS OF THE CHURCH OF ST JAMES,
UPTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Dr Gareth Morgan
08 September 2001
06 April 1959
Date of last amendment:
06 April 1959
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SS92NE UPTON CP -
10/110 Remains of the Church of St James
Remains of former parish church. C14. Random rubble local stone, quoins. West tower and remains of walls to nave and
chancel of church, about 500 mm high and 20 m long, concrete coping blocks in poor condition at time of survey (May
1985), Three stage unbuttressed tower, rebuilt parapet with gabled corners, offsets to each stage, arched head
bell-openings blocked on each face except south, voussoirs to blocked west window opening, evidence of moulded plinth
to west face where land slopes away, C19 buttress in south-east corner, Ham stone tablet on south front with illegible
inscription; east front, offsets of former nave roof, 4-centred tower arch with remains of trefoil headed panelling to
jamb, arch filled with inserted rubble wall containing reset unglazed trefoil headed 2-light window, pointed doorframe
with double roll moulding and C19 iron gates, panel on inner wall of blocked west window, illegible. Evidence of
original entrance on south front, chancel wall on south front set in slightly from nave but continuous on north front.
There is reproduction of a C19 photograph showing the church intact but in a very poor state of repair in Church of St
James, Upton (qv). (Photograph in NMR).