You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 429590  

Print Page



© Mr John H. Sparkes

IoE Number: 429590
Location: CHURCH OF ST JAMES,
  UPTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr John H. Sparkes
Date Photographed: 02 December 2006
Date listed: 04 August 1986
Date of last amendment: 04 August 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SS92NE UPTON CPUPTON VILLAGE10/111Church of St James

SS92NE UPTON CP UPTON VILLAGE 10/111 Church of St James - - II Parish church. Circa 1870. Squared and irregularly coursed local stone, Bath stone dressings, slate roof, decorative ridge tiles, corrugated iron roof to vestry. Three bay nave, south porch, north-east vestry, chancel. Diagonally buttressed west end, two 2-light windows, small rose window above, three 2-light windows on north face of nave, lean-to roofed vestry, shouldered doorway, 2-light window on east front, octagonal chimney with gabled top, lancet to diagonally buttressed chancel, 3-light east window, two lancets and two 2-light windows on south front, single storey gabled wooden porch with decorative bargeboards on stone plinth, double doors with decorative hinges, lancet to right; bell-cote over chancel arch, decorative wrought iron finial, bell in trefoil headed, gabled opening, Interior: rendered. Perpendicular-style chancel arch with colonnettes. Two bay archbraced chancel with faces carved on corbels; 6-bay nave roof, foliage corbels. C19 fittings including pulpit, font, tiles in chancel; wrought iron altar rails; wrought iron frame for portiere; harmonium. Three bells, unhung, and remains of possibly Saxon circular stone font from the earlier Church of St James (qv). The earlier Church of St James was largely demolished c1870 and the present church resited about a mile to the south on the main road through Upton village. There are tablets to the Fergusson Davie family who were presumably instrumental in the rebuilding of the church. The east window is dated 1873.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.