You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 429596  

Print Page



© Dr Gareth Morgan

IoE Number: 429596
Location: EBENEZER CHAPEL, GATEPIERS, RAILINGS AND ENCLOSING FORECOURT,
  UPTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Dr Gareth Morgan
Date Photographed: 08 September 2001
Date listed: 04 August 1986
Date of last amendment: 04 August 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SS92NE UPTON CPUPTON VILLAGEEbenezer Chapel, gatepiers,

SS92NE UPTON CP UPTON VILLAGE Ebenezer Chapel, gatepiers, 10/112 railings and enclosing forecourt - - II Non-conformist chapel, gatepiers and railings enclosing forecourt. Dated 1878. Squared and irregularly coursed local stone, buff brick dressings, quoins, plinth, slate roof, overhanging eaves, plain bargeboards. Plan: single cell with store room in basement on north front, land drops away steeply to north, set gable end onto road, South front: long pointed arch windows with translucent glass flanking pointed arch double doors with decorative hinges; datestone with semi-circular head, brick voussoirs and jambs inscribed "Ebenezer 1878". Two bay returns, similar pointed arch windows set above chamfered plinth; north front circular window in gable end, below plinth plank door to basement store with 2-light wooden mullioned window right. Interior not accessible at time of survey (June 1985). Narrow, rectangular forecourt fronting chapel: square brick piers set in corners of forecourt, bearing undressed lumps of granite; dwarf wall of squared irregularly coursed local stone, saddleback brick coping; cast iron trefoil-headed railings to front wall, wrought iron or cut out iron to returns and rear, In the mid C19 this settlement known as Ragland Castle became more important than Upton because of its position on the toll road, and the name was transferred when the Church of St James (qv) was rebuilt.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.