© Dr Gareth Morgan
UPTON, WEST SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Dr Gareth Morgan
19 September 2001
04 August 1986
Date of last amendment:
04 August 1986
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
SS 92 NE UPTON CP UPTON VILLAGE
Shown on OS map as Haddon Lodge, Lodge to Lady Acland's drive now private dwellings.
Early C19, enlarged late C20 Rendered, probably over rubble, plinth, crenellated
parapet concealing probable flat roof, slate roofs to C20 additions, rendered
stack as extended merlon in southern corner. Triangular in plan, hexagonal
towers in corners, single storey porch on north front, stair in south turret,
colonettes to all arrises on original structure, C20 additions east and west
fronts. Castellated style. North front: 2 storeys, towers with attics indicated
by moulded string courses,blind lancets in towers, blind quatrefoil first
floor between towers, gabled single storey porch below, pointed arch window
with divided tracery entred on left return, plank door, pointed arch, half-glazed
inner door; lit first floor on east and west fronts with similar pointed arch
windows with divided tracery, C20 additions below; glazed lancet to stair in
south turret. An entertaining little building with sympathetic C20 additions.
This drive was built By Lady Harriet Acland during the long period of her
widowhood, 1778-1815, to connect Pixton Park (qv) Dulverton CP, where her daughter
the Countess of Carnarvon lived, with her own estates near Wiveliscombe.
(Rushbridge, Exmoor Review, 1974).