© Mr John Chester
BIRCHWOOD CHAPEL AND BOUNDARY WALL,
BUCKLAND ST MARY, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr John Chester
28 January 2006
30 November 1987
Date of last amendment:
30 November 1987
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
BUCKLAND ST MARY CP BIRCHWOOD
4/34 Birchwood Chapel and boundary wall
Chapel of ease, 1887, Random rubble local stone with ashlar dressings, chamfered plinth, quoins, coped verges
double-Roman tile roof. Plant 4-bay nave with chancel, south-west porch flanked by vestries, bell-cote over. Single
storey, 3-bay porch, lean-to roof with gabled central pointed arch opening, chamfered, flanked by pointed arch windows,
similar chamfered pointed arch inner doorway, plank door, square headed opening to vestry right, pointed arch window on
right return, 2 lancets to right, 3-light window east end, renewed stonework, 4 lancets on north front, 2 at west end,
pointed arch doorway to vestry on west front. Simple wooden bell-cote and bell. All windows with coloured glass.
Interior not accessible at time of survey, known to have whitewashed brick walls and seats 80, Surrounded by random
rubble chert walls with renewed coping, entrance in south-east corner. The expansion of Birchwood, confidently
anticipated in the late C19, has failed to materialise and the chapel now stands in the midst of fields and orchards
behind the hamlet. (Kelly Directory 1914.