You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 429899  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 429899
Location: BUCKLAND HOUSE,
  BUCKLAND ST MARY, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 30 November 1987
Date of last amendment: 30 November 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST21SE BUCKLAND ST MARY CP BUCKLAND ST MARY VILLAGE5/35 Buckland House-

ST21SE BUCKLAND ST MARY CP BUCKLAND ST MARY VILLAGE 5/35 Buckland House - - II Vicarage, now dwelling. Circa 1832, partly refenstrated late C20. Tudor style. Buff bricks, English bond, Ham stone dressings, scalloped clay tiles, coped verges, brick stacks in groups of 3 and 4. Plan: parallel range, entrance front north-east, principal roods on south-east front, services to north-west with parish room in north corner. Entrance front: 2 storeys, 2: bays, all mullioned and transomed windows with many paned casements, gable and right projecting with plaque above 2-light window under hoodmould, left gablets above 2-light windows ground flour left lit on return with bay window porch set in angle 2-light window right, moulded Tudor arch head to gabled porch, coped verges, 2 single light windows on returns and hall-glazed inner door: abutting to right single storey parish rood, or billiard room, of random rubble chert with renewed parapet, full height bows with narrow single light windows in outer bays and central canted bay window. Garden front l:2:1:1 bays, projecting gables first bay left and second bay right, arch headed windows with divided tracery ground floor, left one a door, other ground floor windows with plate glass. Interior partially seen, C20 chimneypiece in panelled library to right of entrance hall with boarded ceiling and painted mottos turned balasters to stair. The vicarage was described as "newly erected" in 1832 by the incumbent, the Rev E J Lance, who built St Mary Church (qv) to south-west, (Colledge and Hind, Buckland St Mary, Past and Present, 1974)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.