You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 429900  

Print Page



© Mr John Chester

IoE Number: 429900
Location: CHURCH OF ST MARY,
  BUCKLAND ST MARY, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr John Chester
Date Photographed: 28 January 2006
Date listed: 04 February 1958
Date of last amendment: 04 February 1958
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BUCKLAND ST MARY CPST21SEBUCKLAND ST MARY VILLAGEChurch of St Mary

BUCKLAND ST MARY CP ST21SE BUCKLAND ST MARY VILLAGE Church of St Mary 5/36 4.2.58 GV II* Parish church. 1853-63 on site of earlier church, tower restored 1966. Architect: Benjamin Ferrey, builder Henry Davis of Taunton. Random rubble chert stone, Ham stone dressings, ashlar plinth, plain clay tile roofs, concrete double-Roman tile roof to east range of south aisle, coped verges. South-west tower, 6-bay nave, 4-bay north and south aisles with south chapel and north-east organ bay, chancel. Three-stage tower with parapet of quatrefoil panels with trefoil-heads below, setback buttresses to south-west corner rising to continuous hoodmould of 2-light mullioned and transomed bell-opening, upper portion louvred, lower with Somerset tracery, 4-light window with reticulated tracery on south front, west door with ornately moulded architrave and hoodmould including ivy and acanthus leaf decoration, decorative hinges to double doors, 2-stage bell-turret in south-east corner with pointed arch opening to buttresses doorway set square into angle of turret; south front, one 2-light window left and 2 right of full height gabled porch with steeply pitched roof and setback buttresses, moulded pointed arch opening with crocketed niche above containing statue of Christ by Forsyth flanked by 2 empty round headed niches all resting on moulded string, step inscribed 'Prepare to meet thy God', quadripartite stone vaulted ceiling carried on angel corbels with 2-light windows on returns, moulded arch inner doorway and door with decorative hinges; buttress at junction with south chapel, door and 2-light windows south and east fronts, set back buttresses to chancel with gargoyles and decorative cornice, 3-light south window, 5-light east window, 3-light north window, 3-light to east wall of organ bay, 4-light north front projecting beyond line of nave, three 2-light and one 3-light window set between buttresses, 2-light west window to aisle, lancet and 2-light window to north front of nave, diagonally buttressed west end, 6-light window with flowing tracery. Interior: rendered with stencilled and painted inscriptions below wallplate in nave, along extrados of arcade and elsewhere. Chancel faced with moulded plaster tiles. Perpendicular style chancel arch with green marble columns and decorative capitals, low wall with arcade and marbles columns closed by brass double gates; chamfered arch dying into imposts in organ bay with 4-bay stone screen; pointed tower arch. Roofs: chancel arch braced with angel corbels, decorative wall plate, stencilled decoration on rafters, monopitch compartment ceiling to south chapel and to aisles, archbraced roof to organ bay, nave with 6-bay hammerbeam roof with decorative corbels, crocketed niches containing statues of the 12 Apostles by Earp.Tower groin vaulted roof carried on corbels with angels playing musical instruments. Chancel; reredos of alabaster and purple marble depicting the Deposition by Forsyth, dated 1888 in memory of the Rev. E J Lance; Ninton tiles in sanctuary, 3-seat sedilia of Ham stone and alabaster, brass altar rails, carved choir stalls. Striking memorial set under north window in chancel to Madelina Louisa, died 1839, also by Forsyth. Trefoil-headed aumbry in chapel with 1:3 bay screen to chancel. Organ with stencilled pipes, built by Sweatland of Bath, rebuilt by Osmonds of Taunton 1972. Pulpit of coloured marble with crocketed niches for figures. Brass lecturn and good brass scones. Octagonal font carved with scenes of the Baptism, ornate cover and pulley presented by Henry Davis, the builder. Stained glass in all windows, chancel windows thought to be by O'Connor, west window and tower window by Clayton and Ball, the former dated 1914, lady chapel window and one in north aisle by Kempe. The original load spire or fleche was removed in 1937, to the detriment of the design, and the recent reroofing of part of the south aisle with concrete tiles is unfortunate. One of the finest C19 church interiors in Somerset. (Photograph in NMR; Pevsner Buildings of England South and jest Somerset, 1958 Kelly's Directory l914; Colledge and Hind, 3uckland St Mary, Past and Present, 1974).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.