You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 429983  

Print Page



© Mr John Chester

IoE Number: 429983
Location: THE SCHOOL,
  BUCKLAND ST MARY, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr John Chester
Date Photographed: 28 January 2006
Date listed: 30 November 1987
Date of last amendment: 30 November 1987
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

BUCKLAND ST MARY CPST21SEBUCKLAND ST MARY VILLAGE5/42The School

BUCKLAND ST MARY CP ST21SE BUCKLAND ST MARY VILLAGE 5/42 The School - - II School, 1851, enlarged l883. Chert stone random rubble, Has stone dressings, plain clay tile roofs, coped verges, large lateral stack on facade centre right. Plan: not clear without internal inspection, thought to be 2-storey west end with single storey porch, full height classrooms another classroom in addition at east end, One and a half storeys, 2;1;2;2 bavs, all stone mullioned windows. Tudor arch heads to centre 3 bays, others square hooded, two 2-light in gabled dormers left 4-light below, roof continued as catslide over timber-framed porch, 3-light full-height mullioned and transomed window left of external stack with arch headed niche containing bell, full height 6-light mullioned and transomed window right projecting through eaves with gabled top, small 6-light to right mullioned and transomed window, in lower roofed addition two 2-light; right return (east gable end) elliptical window and quatrefoil opening in gable end. Interior not seen. The school was erected at the expense of the incumbent, the Rev E J Lance. It is not listed among the works of Benjamin Ferrey, architect of St Mary's Church (qv) but he may have been consulted. Kelly's Directory, 1914).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.