You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 430052  

Print Page



© Mr Richard Bland ARPS

IoE Number: 430052
Location: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, VICARAGE HILL (south side)
  COMBE ST NICHOLAS, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Richard Bland ARPS
Date Photographed: 04 November 2000
Date listed: 04 February 1958
Date of last amendment: 04 February 1958
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

COMBE ST NICHOLAS CPVICARAGE HILL (south side)ST31SW6/62 Church of St Nicholas

COMBE ST NICHOLAS CP VICARAGE HILL (south side) ST31SW 6/62 Church of St Nicholas 4.2.58 GV I Parish church. Norman in origin, chancel and lower stage of tower C13, enlarged and aisles added C15, restored 1836 when aisles extended 2 bays west, roofs renewed, reseated, gallery and screen removed, south porch added. Squared and coursed local stone, dressed chert to north porch, south porch banded squared and coursed local limestone and chert, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs, coped verges, monopitch lead roofs to aisles. West tower, 5-bay aisled nave, north and south chapels, chancel. Four stage crenellated tower, diagonal buttresses to first stage, string courses, gargoyles, 2-light trefoil-headed louvred bell-openings, 2 single light openings below, small east door with depressed chamfered head opening, polygonal stair turret in south east corner in 4 decreasing stages rising above tower, crenellated with moulded cornices and quatrefoil openings, 4 to lower stage and one above, stepped buttresses rising halfway up lower stage, moulded plinth. C19 3-light windows at west end of aisles, both crenellated with moulded cornices added when aisle roofs lowered; diagonal buttresses, south front reused 3-light window left of single storey, diagonally buttressed porch, moulded arched opening and inner doorway with C19 door, gargoyle in porch, 3-light windows right flanking buttress, hexagonal crenellated stair turret, blocked opening, 3-light windows to chapel south and east, section of wall at junction with chancel cut back with priest's door, 2-light window south side of chancel, 4-light east window, 2-light north front, 3-light to chapel with depressed chamfered arch head to priest's door, hexagonal stair turret, 3-light windows flanking buttress; single storey porch, crenellated with bosses, diagonally buttressed with moulded pointed arch opening, C19 Tudor style doorway and door, C19 3-light window right. Interior: rendered. Standard hollow moulded Perpendicular arcade, copied in the 2 west bays, 2 Norman capitals and one column with capital attached at north-west corner where aisles extended in C19. Pointed tower arch chamfered in 3 orders and lower part rebuilt. Perpendicular-style oak screen with door dated 1938. Moulded Perpendicular chancel arch; moulded arches with refoil-headed panelled jambs between chancel and chapels, Perpendicular depressed moulded arches between aisles and chapels. Hagiascopes set diagonally to give views of the chapel altars from nave. On south wall chamfered pointed arch to roodstair doorway with arched opening above, stone stairs. North wall, similar opening but blocked, memorial tablet above. C19 roofs: crown post to nave, monopitch in aisles, king post in chapels, and archbraced carried on corbels in chancel. Chancel with pointed arch, double roll moulded piscina; console table of stone supported on brackets with carved faces, probably composed of reused stonework, Minton tiles. Piscina in south chapel, now vestry. Fan vaulted rood screen, reconstructed in 1921 from original screen of c1480 which was dismantled in mid C19; dated 1921 in memory of those who died in the First World War. Pulpit composed of sections of rood screen. Circular Saxon font; octagonal Perpendicular font. collection of memorials, notably white marble convex cartouche, drapped with pettish heads of Johannes flood died 1714, White marble tablet with terrazo surround erected 1757 to members of the Banner family. Siailar tablet with open pediment, volutes and putti below, to the memory of the Rev Joel Smith, died 1758. Tablet with drapped urn to Rev Christopher Tatchell, died 1793, possibly by King of Bath. Oil painting on wood of King David playing the harp. C19 stained glass east window, eastern 2 bays of aisles with coloured glass. (Photograh in NMR; Anon, A guide to St Nicholas Church, n.d.).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.