© Mr Bob Manekshaw LRPS
CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN,
EAST GRINSTEAD, MID SUSSEX, WEST SUSSEX
Mr Bob Manekshaw LRPS
13 May 2001
28 January 1948
Date of last amendment:
28 January 2048
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
TQ 3937 1/21 Church of St Swithun
TQ 3938 2/21
1789 by James Wyatt to replace collapsed medieval structure. Tower completed
by the Inwood brothers in 1785. Yellow sandstone. Nave, aisles, and chancel
with aisles. Exterior is plain, aisles and clerestorey battlemented. Tall
western tower, perpendicular in detail, possibly altered in later alteration
by J M Hooker in 1876. Clerestorey windows round. Octagonal piers to nave.
Chancel is small in relation to size of nave, although whole is otherwise
of impressive proportions. Some C16 brasses, and also later C17 and C18
tombs and monuments from original church. Stained glass by Kempe, 1900.
Good modern rood with figures.