You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 430476  

Print Page



© Mr Bob Manekshaw LRPS

IoE Number: 430476
Location: CHURCH OF ST SWITHIN,
  EAST GRINSTEAD, MID SUSSEX, WEST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr Bob Manekshaw LRPS
Date Photographed: 13 May 2001
Date listed: 28 January 1948
Date of last amendment: 28 January 2048
Grade B

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

1068TQ 3937 1/21 Church of St SwithunTQ 3938 2/2128.1.48.B

1. 1068 TQ 3937 1/21 Church of St Swithun TQ 3938 2/21 28.1.48. B 2. 1789 by James Wyatt to replace collapsed medieval structure. Tower completed by the Inwood brothers in 1785. Yellow sandstone. Nave, aisles, and chancel with aisles. Exterior is plain, aisles and clerestorey battlemented. Tall western tower, perpendicular in detail, possibly altered in later alteration by J M Hooker in 1876. Clerestorey windows round. Octagonal piers to nave. Chancel is small in relation to size of nave, although whole is otherwise of impressive proportions. Some C16 brasses, and also later C17 and C18 tombs and monuments from original church. Stained glass by Kempe, 1900. Good modern rood with figures.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.