© Mr Terry Abbiss
QUEEN CAMEL, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr Terry Abbiss
17 January 2004
24 March 1961
Date of last amendment:
24 March 1961
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
QUEEN CAMEL CP
Detached house, now school. C17 or earlier, largely rebuilt by Carew Mi1dmay in 1730. Ham stone ashlar; hipped Welsh
slate roof, brick chimney stacks. Three storeys, 7-bay south elevation. Plinth, band courses, eaves cornice, single
pilasters each end and double pilasters between bays 2 and 3 and 5 and 6, crossed by hoodmoulds lining through with
window heads of ground floor; first floor windows have individual pediments and console bracketted cills, second floor
architrave only: to centre bay ground floor pair almost fully glazed doors set in architrave under moulded hood on
console brackets. Single storey brick and tiled extension on west side, and other extensions to north. East elevation
plainer with lias ashlar and Ham stone dressings; 2-bays, then 3 bays projecting; below plain sash windows, above
12-pane sashes to first floor and 6-pane to second, in plain surrounds with keystones; then low 2-storey wing with
plain clay tile roof over stone slate base courses, coped with gable; single bay, with ovolo mould mullioned windows
under square labels, a wide 2-light below and 3-light above; pitched roof dormer in roof space. Interior not seen.
Formerly the home of the Mildmay family, lords of the manor, now Junior School of Kings School, Bruton. (Lankester RPA,
A History of Hazelgrove House in the Parish of Queen Camel, Somerset, 1958).