You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 431089  

Print Page



© Mr Gerard Sheridan

IoE Number: 431089
Location: HOLME PIERREPONT HALL, HOLME PIERREPONT HALL DRIVE (north side)
  HOLME PIERREPONT, RUSHCLIFFE, NOTTINGHAMSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Gerard Sheridan
Date Photographed: 27 June 2005
Date listed: 12 February 1952
Date of last amendment: 12 February 1952
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SK 63 NWHOLME PIERREPONTHOLME PIERREPONTHALL DRIVE(north side)3/70Holme Pierrepont

SK 63 NW HOLME PIERREPONT HOLME PIERREPONT HALL DRIVE (north side) 3/70 Holme Pierrepont Hall 12.2.52 G.V. I Large country house. Early C16 courtyard house built for the Pierrepont family, Earls and Dukes of Kingston and Earls Manvers, now truncated U-plan. The south range being the main surviving part. Cl7 alterations including alterations to fenestration. The north rebuilt by Robert Pierrepont, first Earl of Kingston in 1628, demolished in the 1730s and subsequently rebuilt in the 1870s. East side has mid C18 bays. c.1800 alterations. 1875 additions. Red brick, some blue brick chequering and diaper, ashlar dressings, some render. Hipped slate roofs behind c.1800 embattled parapets which are coped with ashlar and have single bands of ashlar and dogtooth extending under. Set on a plinth. Suth/entrance front with 4 red brick stacks each with single band of dogtooth. 2 storeys, 12 bays. The single bays fourth from the right and left project and are two and a half storeys forming turrets. Rendered chamfered 4 centred arch with inner similarly double chamfered arched doorway and double C19 door. Either side are single large 4 centred arched brick niches. Further right is a single Cl7 ashlar tripartite glazing bar cross casement with dripmould. Further right and left in the turrets are 3 small glazing bar casements with ashlar surrounds and dripmoulds. Further right is a single similar tripartite casement and dripmould and a single similar smaller niche. The single bay on the far right is set back and has no openings. Further left is a single C19 ashlar mullion tripartite casement with dripmould and a single depressed arched brick niche. The single bay on the far left is set back and has no openings on this floor. Over are 6 Cl7 ashlar tripartite glazing bar cross casements with dripmoulds, in the single bay on the far left is a single ashlar glazing bar cross casement. In the turrets on the top floor are single 2 light ashlar mullion windows with dripmoulds. Sides of the turrets with a few blocked or glazed small narrow lights. There are 2 tie plates. West/church front has a single early C16 window with 3 arched ashlar lights, flush ashlar quoinsurround and hood mould. Above is a single Cl7 tripartite ashlar glazing bar casement with dripmould. Irregular garden/east front of 15 bays. The left bays being early C16 with various alterations and additions, those to the right being later Cl7, C18 and C19. Various ashlar mullion and cross casements, some with dripmoulds, some casements with arched ashlar lights. C19 bays with wooden cross casements. The third bay from the left slightly projects and has a partially concealed C16 arched garderobe window under flat arch with panelled spandrels. The ninth and tenth bays from the left project and have ashlar quoins being the base of the cupola as drawn by Thoroton in 1676. Inner courtyard formed by south, east and north wings. The west side with red brick and render embattled wall with band of dogtooth under the embattlements. The north side of the courtyard is completed by a 1875 single storey arcade, this continues to part of the east range. Various doorways, ashlar glazing bar cross casements, ashlar mullion casements and plain casements, some with dripmoulds. Interior. South wing with lodgings to the ground and first floors both with garderobes. Some lodgings entered via 4 centred arched doorways, some keyed for plaster. Lodgings divided internally by close-studded partitions rising to the roof pitch. Large chamfered beams. 2 fireplaces with moulded jambs and 4 centred arches. First floor has chamber at east end with exposed roof with cusped wind braces reputed to extend the length of this front. East front with inserted Cl7 long gallery on the first floor. 2 c.1610 ashlar fireplaces and 2 early Cl7 ashlar arched doorways. Blocked early C16 ashlar window with 2 arched ashlar lights. North end of this wing has fine late Cl7 dogleg staircase inserted here early C18 with pierced and carved foliated scroll balustrades. Newels carved with low reliefs, some with finials. Closed strings with low relief carving. Country Life, September 20, 1979.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.