You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 431240  

Print Page



© Mr J M Pickering

IoE Number: 431240
Location: LIBERAL CLUB, MILL STREET
  NANTWICH, CREWE AND NANTWICH, CHESHIRE
Photographer: Mr J M Pickering
Date Photographed: 19 July 2004
Date listed: 28 January 1999
Date of last amendment: 28 January 1999
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SJ 6552MILL STREET793/1/44No. 9, Peppers.19.04.1948

SJ 6552 MILL STREET 793/1/44 No. 9, Peppers. 19.04.1948 II* Town House, later used as a bank, and subsequently as a political club. c. 1736, altered 1852, and further altered and extended in 1897. Ped brick, laid to Flenu'sh bond, with ashlar stone dressings, 2 brick ridge stacks and a plain tile roof covering. PLAN: Full depth central hall, with flanking rooms separated by a main and a secondary stair, and with billiard room extension to west. FP,ONT (north) ELEVATION: 2 storeys with attics and basement. Symmetrical 5-bay front with single storey addition. Central entrance bay slightly advanced, flanked by shallow brick pilasters, and with pediment above first floor window which penetrates blind brick parapet above moulded cornice. Line of pilasters expressed in piers within parapet, and surinounted by urns. Doorway with i-noulded door case and scrolled brackets supporting a segmental pediment. Panelled door, formerly ' h 10 panels, now partially glazed. Flanking bays with glazing bar sash windows (retaining heavy wit section Cl 8 glazing bars) to ground and first floors,'9 over 6 panes, with segmentally-arched heads, set within advanced ashlar surrounds. Storey band above ground floor openings, and moulded coping to parapet. INTERIOP,: Altered plan form, with removal of dividing walls between ground floor rooms. However, these retain many original elements, including moulded ceiling cornices, Cl S fielded panelling, panelled doors, window reveals and shutters, moulded window surrounds and architraves to doorways. Many of these details are repeated at first floor level. Principal staircase with slender turned balusters and ramped and moulded handrail. The secondary stair survives at first floor level, with detailing sinu'lar to that of the main stair. It gives access to the attics, with exposed roof timbers, panelled doors, and plain attic hearth surrounds with Cl 9 hob grates. Within the attic storey, a short staircase with barley-sugar balusters gives access to a south-facing prospect platfon-ii at roof level. HISTOP,Y: The house was built c.1736 and remained in private occupation until 1852, when it was altered to form the prerru'ses and managers house of the District Bank. In 1897, the building was purchased by the Nantwich Liberal Club. A substantial and well-detailed early, CIS Town House, which, although altered and extended in the Cl9, retains much original interior fabric. Source: P,.C.H.M.E. Historic Buildings Report. N.B.R. No. 95688. 1998.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.