© Mr Andrew Parslow
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH GREEN (north side)
CURRY RIVEL, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Mr Andrew Parslow
06 October 2002
17 April 1959
Date of last amendment:
17 April 1959
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST32NE CURRY RIVEL CP CHURCH GREEN
1/79 Church of St. Andrew
Anglican parish church. C13, C15, restored C19, Blue lias and Ham stone, lead sheetinq roofs. Predominantly
Perpendicular. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, south porch, north and south chapels, west tower. Tower rebuilt
1861, 3 stages, embattled parapet, set-back buttresses, tall transoned bell-chamber openings with Somerset-type
tracery; quatrefoil frieze at foot of bell stage. West doorway with traceried spandrels. Statue in niche to south side;
clock with Roman numerals by E Dent and Co of 1860. Very fine south facade, richly cusped transomed 4-light windows,
battlements; C18 brass to south-east buttress. East window of south chapel 'with quatreloll frieze at its foot. Porch
with paryise, fan-vault inside, with stoup. interior rercofed l861; arcades with piers of 4-hollows section; C16 bench
ends with poppy heads; carved heads over chancel and tower arches; pulpit of 1863, North aisle with C15 roof; C19
memorials; north-east window restored 1893, glass of 1930. C15 parclose screens to chapels, covings with carved ribs.
North chapel with C13 and C14 work, some tomb recesses with effigies of a knight and children; walls with traces of
earlier openings; Decorated rere-arches to windows and a piscina; Classical tomb to Robert Jennings, obit. l593,
columns with canopy; C17 and C18 floor slabs; C17 altar table. Chancel shortened C18 and re-roof with barrel-vault;
aumbry with linen-fold door; separating chancel from north chapel the large Jennings tomb with 2 figures, coffered
arch canopy with crest, railings, c1625; sedilia to south; east window with remains of medieval glass. South chapel
with piscina and good memorials to east wall to Powell family; C20 east window. Tower with fan-vault, panelled tower
arch; west window of 1868. South aisle with C15 roof; some early glass to west window; Royal Arms of King Charles II.
C16, C17, C18, and C19 bells.