You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 431482  

Print Page

© Mr Les Waby

IoE Number: 431482
Photographer: Mr Les Waby
Date Photographed: 19 August 2002
Date listed: 26 November 1985
Date of last amendment: 26 November 1985
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TA 14 SEHATFIELDGOXHILL9/22Church of Saint GilesGVII

TA 14 SE HATFIELD GOXHILL 9/22 Church of Saint Giles GV II Church. Rebuilt, 1840. Ashlar to south side of nave and chancel, brick and cobbles, rendered, elsewhere. Slate roofs. West tower, 3-bay nave, l-bay chancel with polygonal apse. West tower: 3 stages with plinth and pilaster buttresses. Pointed belfry openings with hoodmoulds. Boarded west door in pointed opening with hoodmould under plaque with inscription: THIS CHURCH WAS REBUILT 1840 Nave: Three 2-light pointed windows with Y-tracery under hoodmoulds. Oversailing eaves. Chancel: 3-light pointed east window with intersecting tracery under hoodmould. Oversailing eaves. Interior: nave: C12 tub font, much repaired, with incised interlace and roundels with wheels. C15 piscina (re-erected at west end), with coat of arms of de Lellay family, under ogee canopy. Floor-tablet with coat of arms and inscription to Marmaduke Constable of Wassand died 1690. Chancel: floor-slab to Radulph and Joanna de Lellay (died C14): reclining female figure at prayer beneath triple ogee arcade.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.