You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 431518  

Print Page



© Mr Les Waby

IoE Number: 431518
Location: WASSAND HALL,
  SEATON, EAST RIDING OF YORKSHIRE, EAST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Les Waby
Date Photographed: 14 April 2004
Date listed: 04 March 1952
Date of last amendment: 09 May 1996
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

TA 14 NESEATONWASSAND HALL6/65Wassand Hall4.3.52-II

SEATON TA 14 NE WASSAND ROAD, Wassand Park (South side) 552- /6/65 Wassand Hall 04/03/52 II* Country house. 1813-19, additions 1843 and late C19, restored and reduced 1947-48. Designed by Thomas Cundy for the Rev Charles Constable and restored by Francis Johnson for Sir Marmaduke Strickland-Constable. White brick with ashlar dressings and slate hipped roof with domed lantern and brick stacks. Ashlar plinth, first floor band and eaves cornice. 2 storey. West entrance front, 3 windows with slightly projecting centre. Central doorway has wooden pedimented doorway with glazed double doors flanked by single, narrow glazing bar sashes. Eitherside a single full height tripartite window with glazing bar sashes. Above a similar central window flanked by single glazing bar sashes. Set back service wing to right has 3 glazing bar sashes with 2 similar sashes above. South front, 5 windows. Central window has moulded ashlar surround with flat bracketed hood reached up 3 steps. Ground floor has full height glazing bar sashes, smaller sashes above. Set back lower service wing. East front, 6 windows. Ground floor has tall glazing bar sashes with small ashlar panels below, smaller sashes above. Set back wing to left has tripartite sashes inserted 1948 and single glazing bar sashes beyond. North entrance front, built after removal of service wing 1947-48, has central 3 window projection topped by a parapet. Central projecting porch with open pediment supported on pilasters flanking round headed doorway with double panel doors and ornate fanlight with double keystone. Above single round headed sash with small blind window above. Eitherside single oval windows with single glazing bar sashes above. INTERIOR. Retains original doors, doorcases, window shutters and ornate plaster coving throughout. 2 storey galleried entrance hall lit by circular domed lantern and staircase with 2 barley-sugar baluster per tread and semi-circular roof light. Library retains original tripartite bookcases. Reception rooms retain original marble fireplaces. Dining room has mid C18 pine fireplace reused from previous house. Bedrooms mostly retain original fireplaces. This fine quality Regency house, which was carefully restored by Francis Johnson 1947-48, retains almost all its original internal features intact.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.