You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 431714  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 431714
Location: CATHANGER, CATHANGER LANE (east side)
  FIVEHEAD, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 17 April 1959
Date of last amendment: 23 June 1988
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST32SW FIVEHEAD CP CATHANGER LANE (East side, off)3/40 Cathanger(previously listed as CathangerHouse)

ST32SW FIVEHEAD CP CATHANGER LANE (East side, off) 3/40 Cathanger (previously listed as Cathanger House) 17.4.59 GV II* Manor House, now country house. Dated 1559, considerable C18 alteration. Coursed and squared rubble with some banding, some render and stucco, slate, double-Roman and pantiled roofs to coped verges, rendered and brick stacks. L-plan, 2 distinct periods, wing extending east-west, late C16 with first floor hall, wing running north-south remodelled late C18 but core earlier. South elevation of the east-west wing with a 4-light moulded stone-mullioned window to first floor hall, square-paned leaded lights, smaller similar 3-light window on the floor below; adjacent to right a projecting polygonal stair-turret, 2 single- light windows with labels, door opening in a moulded stone surround with a 4-centred arch head. To right of turret an incised stone text with date 1559 and 3 door openings, one with plank door, 2 with French windows, 2 three-light casements with square-paned leaded lights to first floor. East elevation of north-south wing of 3 bays, triple-light sash windows of 3:12:3 panes, projecting square porch with a coping and parapet, paired 2-panelled doors, transomlight, sidelights. Walled garden to south incorporating some C16 remains, 2 gateways with moulded stone jambs, one with a 4-centred arch head. At the corner of the walled garden, a 2-storeyed outhouse. At entrance to east front a gateway with tall rendered piers, ball finials, wrought-iron gates and overthrow. Interior not seen.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.