You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 431738  

Print Page

No Image Available

IoE Number: 431738
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 17 April 1959
Date of last amendment: 17 April 1959
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST32SE FIVEHEAD CP LOWER SWELL4/49 Langford Manor17.4.59

ST32SE FIVEHEAD CP LOWER SWELL 4/49 Langford Manor 17.4.59 GV II* Manor house, Circa 1600, much altered internally 1905 by Rupert Austin for Mrs Matterson, some later C20 work. Coursed and squared lias, Ham stone dressings, slate roofs; coped verges, bases for finials, mostly ashlar stacks, some brick stacks. Double E-plan with through-passage and hall, altered 1905. Entrance frontage of 1:1:1:1:1 bays, first and fifth projecting in large front-facing wings, 2 storeys and attic, 2, 3, and 4-light stone-mullioned windows with stopped labels, square-paned leaded lights. Projecting gabled 3-storey central porch, 4-centred arch door opening with a label, inner doorway with plank door. Rear elevation in conforming style. Interior with good C16/C17 features including fireplaces in moulded stone surrounds with 4-centred arch heads, some simple elm panelling used to make divisions between rooms, and a staircase in west wing running up to attic, fretwork splat balusters, moulded handrail. Many early features from other buildings incorporated in the 1905 restoration including early C18 panelling to "Drawing Room", C17 panelling to "Smoking Room", and some C18 doors. In late C20 a reproduction C18 staircase and "Jacobean plasterowrk was introduced to the east part of the house. (The Builder, August 26, 1906).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.