You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 431822  

Print Page



© Mr Michael Perry

IoE Number: 431822
Location: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS,
  ISLE BREWERS, SOUTH SOMERSET, SOMERSET
Photographer: Mr Michael Perry
Date Photographed: 16 April 2007
Date listed: 17 April 1959
Date of last amendment: 17 April 1959
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ST32SE ISLE BREWERS CP ISLE BREWERS VILLAGE4/1 Church of All Saints17.4.59

ST32SE ISLE BREWERS CP ISLE BREWERS VILLAGE 4/1 Church of All Saints 17.4.59 - II Anglican parish church. 1861 by C.E. Giles. Coursed and squared lias with Ham stone dressings, banded plain tile roofs with crested ridges to coped verges with cruciform finials. Nave, chancel south vestry, north tower larch. Plain 'High Victorian" Early English style. Tower porch square on plan at base rising to octagonal bell-chamber supporting tiled spire with wrought-iron finial; single-light bell opening to each face, a lancet with a quatrefoil to head, on ground floor broad door opening to north, Shifted surround of 2 orders polychromatic voussoirs to arch over, of white lias and Ham stone. Three bay nave, 2 bay chancel, lancet windows, some paired, some simple tracery to heads in the form of cusping and quatrefoils, triple-light east window with plate tracery, libel with large carved floral stops. Inside plastered on flagstone floors, encaustic tiles to chancel. Nave under simple scissor-beam roof, chance! under unceiled wagon roof. Contemporary fittings including pews, choir stalls, altar rails, stone reredos with painted decoration, pulpit and lectern. Norman tub font with cable banding, 2 Jacobean coffin stools and a C18 chest reused from an earlier church that stood in the village. East window with sole stained glass of circa 1861. Wall monument of the First World War. Very faded achievement set in porch. (Pevsnar, N., Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.