You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 431865  

Print Page



© Mr Christopher B. Meathrel

IoE Number: 431865
Location: CHURCH OF THE HOLY TRINITY,
  DENBURY AND TORBRYAN, TEIGNBRIDGE, DEVON
Photographer: Mr Christopher B. Meathrel
Date Photographed: 05 May 2004
Date listed: 23 August 1955
Date of last amendment: 23 August 1955
Grade I

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

SX 86TORBRYANTORBRYAN HAMLET4/50Church of the Holy Trinity23.8.55GVI

SX 86 TORBRYAN TORBRYAN HAMLET 4/50 Church of the Holy Trinity 23.8.55 GV I Parish church. Early C15, with C19 vestry. Roughcast rendered stone with slate roof. Nave, chancel, north and south aisles, west tower, south porch; vestry at east end of north aisle. Aisles have (with one exception); identical Perpendicular windows of four ogee-headed cinquefoiled lights, four to north and four to south. At the east end of north wall of aisle is a further 3-light window of slightly different design, matching that of the south chancel window. The mouldings of these two windows in turn match those of the 3-light windows at the east end of each aisle, these differing in having a large rose in the head of the arch. The south aisle window, however, is mainly a C19 or C20 replica. The north chancel window and the west window of the south aisle are simpler, with two ogee- headed cinquefoil lights. The east window is of five lights, matching the design of all but one of the aisle windows. Three-stage tapering tower with weathering string-course above each stage and battlements at the top, each surmounted by a pinnacle with small shrines in each face. These rise off corner stones with tapered tops and some reworking may have been involved. Each face is flanked by a buttress set off each corner, the east buttress of the south face having in the second stage an ornate empty niche with ogee head and finial; remnant of similar niche in west buttress. In centre of south face a five-sided stair turret with slit windows rising to a crenellated top. In west face a doorway with two-centred arch, having a heavy three-quarter-round moulding, the whole set in a rectangular moulded frame. Above it is a straight-headed early C16 window of two segmental- headed lights, the hood-mould with square carved terminals. In second stage a single-light window with two-centred arch. Belfry has a two-light opening with two-centred heads to the lights in all but the south face, which has a similar single-light glazed window at either side of stair turret. North aisle has at west end a rectangular stair turret (leading to aisle roof) with splayed corner, and in north wall a five-sided stair turret to former rood loft. Outline of small blocked doorway with round head visible to west of latter. In south wall of chancel a priest's doorway, moulded and with two-centred arch. South porch is two-storeyed with angle-buttresses; three-sided stair turret (to upper chamber) in angle with south aisle. Inner and outer doorways moulded and with two-centred arches. Interior has stone seats at either side and a white-limestone fan-vault with trefoil-headed and quatrefoil panels, the ribs carved with four angels. Upper storey has straight-headed two-light window with hood-mould, the lights with ogee cinquefoiled heads and carved spandrels. Both aisles and porch have battlements, these being carried round the stair turret. Interior: nave has five two-centred arches on each side, the piers of diamond section with an attached column a each angle and wave-mouldings in between, the capitals carved with foliage. Piscinas at east end of south wall of south aisle and in south wall of chancel, the former with two-centred arch, the latter ogee-headed, both cinque-foiled. In north wall of north aisle stairs to former rood loft have plain round-headed doorway below and chamfered doorway with 2-centred arch above. 2-centred tower arch with chamfered imposts. Aisle roofs flat with moulded intersecting beams. Wagon-roof to nave and chancel, possibly restored (parish register says roof first ceiled in 1807). Fittings: coloured medieval glass in heads of most of the windows. Medieval wood rood screen across nave and aisles with parclose screens of slightly different design across the eastern arch of each aisle. Rood screen has give 2-centred arches across have and three across each aisle. Arches are of four ogee-headed cinquefoiled lights with corresponding panels beneath carrying an almost complete set of Pre-Reformation painted figures. Head-beams carved with fruit and foliage. Parclose screens each have doorway with segmental head to east, and 2 windows to west with three ogee-headed cinquefoiled lights under a two-centred arch. Octagonal font with plain bowl, each face of shaft with a cinquefoil-headed panel; early C17, ogee-shaped wooden cover. Seven-sided elaborately carved wood pulpit on imitation medieval base (the pulpit itself said to be made up of pier casings from the rood screen); it has a shaft carved with foliage in the centre of each of five faces, this being flanked by trefoil-headed panels. Complete set of medieval pews in nave, eight each side of centre gangway; bench-ends as far as can be ascertained carved with trefoil-headed panels. Enclosing these a complete set of early C18 box-pews with raised-and-ovolo-moulded panels. Monument: on north wall of chancel, slate plaque in a limestone frame, to William Peter of Tornewton (d.1614) and wife nicely (d.1600). Flanking piles are decorated with pendants of ribbons and a skull; round arch, scrolls and coats-of-arms.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.