You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 432275  

Print Page



© Mrs Jenni Le Roux

IoE Number: 432275
Location: RICHMOND FOOTBRIDGE, LOCK AND SLUICES, RICHMOND LOCK
  RICHMOND, RICHMOND UPON THAMES, GREATER LONDON
Photographer: Mrs Jenni Le Roux
Date Photographed: 29 May 2004
Date listed: 25 May 1983
Date of last amendment: 05 March 1992
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

In the entry for:- TQ 1675 & TQ 1775 RICHMOND LOCK 8/13 Richmond Footbridge The entry shall be amended to read:- TQ 1675 & TQ 1775 RICHMOND LOCK 8/13 Richmond Footbridge, lock and sluices II* Foot bridge incorporating lock and sluices. 1891, designed by the engineer F.G.M. Stoney (1837-97) who took out 7 patents relating to sluices between 1873 and 1894, but design of the lock-houses by the surveyors Hunt and Steward and ironwork by the firm of Ransome and Rapier of Ipswich. 2 parallel 5 arched bridges of cast iron supported by stone piers with brick and stone lock houses at each end. Each bridge has 5 flat arches of cast iron with spandrels lightened and decorated by vertical slots. Stone piers have round-headed niches to keystones above pointed cutwaters. Elaborate cast iron balustrade with lamp standards positioned over centres of arches. On each bank the bridge is elevated on a brick base serving as a lock keepers cottage with stone dressings and double flight of steps. The overall span is of 348 feet. The central 66 feet spans incorporating 3 sluices which can be raised and stowed horizontally in the space between the 2 bridges. Beneath the outer spans, each of 50 feet were three parallel lines of rollers of which one now remains. the bridges carry public walkways (all closed at time of survey) and there is a toll booth of brick and weather boarding with fretted canopy at the upper level on the Surrey side. This bridge has considerable importance in the history of hydraulic engineering as Stoney first applied here the principal of the floating sluice gate and here pioneered his apparatus for turning the lifted gates into the horizontal position. These principals were later used in his Manchester Ship Canal (1894) and Aswan Dam (1902). ------------------------------------ 1. 5028 RICHMOND LOCK Richmond Footbridge TQ 1675 & 1775 8/13 II 2. 1894. Five-arched bridge in cast-iron upon stone piers. Ironwork by Ransome and Rapier of Ipswich and "Stoney's Patent" used for associated sluices. Two parallel bridges joined by blue brick piers. Each bridge 5 flat arches of cast-iron with spandrels lightened and decorated by vertical slots. Stone piers with niches to keystones above cutwaters. Elaborate cast-iron balustrade. Lamp standards positioned over centres of arches. Bridge elevated on both banks upon brick and stone base with double flight of steps.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.