You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 432805  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 432805
Location: WARNE'S HOTEL (MAIN BLOCK), MARINE PARADE
  WORTHING, WORTHING, WEST SUSSEX
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 11 October 1949
Date of last amendment: 11 October 2049
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

MARINE PARADE5406Warne's Hotel(Main block)TQ 1502 SW 6/111.10.49.

MARINE PARADE 1. 5406 Warne's Hotel (Main block) TQ 1502 SW 6/1 11.10.49. II 2. Early C19. (Before 1826). Originally a terrace of 5 houses known as York Terrace. Architect possibly John Rebecca of Worthing. 4 storeys and basement with area. 15 windows. Stuccoed, ground floor rusticated. Cornice above 2nd floor. A smaller cornice above 3rd floor with parapet above. The centre and end houses project slightly and have pilasters from 1st to 2nd floor, those on the centre house with Ionic capitals, those on the end ones with capitals having moulding of honeysuckle leaves. These houses with pilasters have a further set of pilasters above the cornice which are carried up beyond the parapet and have cornices of their own. Continuous iron balcony on the 1st floor with hood supported by trellised iron columns having Ionic capitals. The balcony itself is supported by Ionic columns from the ground floor at each end and on each side of the porch of each house, the entablatures of these porches being immediately beneath the balcony. Originally each house had a curved bay of 2 windows on the ground floor and basement, but this had been cut away in the central house to make the main entrance of the hotel and in the case of the 2 easternmost houses it has been removed and replaced by a modern glazed verandah constructed beneath the balcony. The doorways had round-headed arches under the porches and pilasters, but (except the centre one, which is modern) they are blocked and windows inserted. Some glazing bars missing. Modern bay on East front. The back part of the building at the North-West corner of the terrace was originally the mews of the houses. The hotel has a large late C19 addition at the north-east. Neither part is included.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.