You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 432812  

Print Page



© Mr Robin Earl LRPS

IoE Number: 432812
Location: THE PIER, MARINE PARADE
  WORTHING, WORTHING, WEST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr Robin Earl LRPS
Date Photographed: 04 November 2000
Date listed: 30 July 1975
Date of last amendment: 14 November 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

In the entry for MARINE PARADE The Pier TQ 1402 SE 4/270 TQ 1502 SW 6/270 The address shall be amended to read MARINE PARADE TQ 1402 SE 4/270 The Pier (including the Pierfoot Pavilion TQ 1502 SW 6/270 and the Pierhead Pavilion) The description should be amended to read Originally 1860-62. Designed by Robert Rawlinson for J Cliff of Bradford. 960 ft long. The neck was widened from 15 ft to 30 ft in 1887-9 and the pierhead enlarged to 105 ft. Pier consists of 24 spans of longitudinal lattice girders supported by cast iron trestles and carrying timber joists for the wooden decking. 'Shoreward or Pierfoot Pavilion 1926. Stucco to walls, metal clad roofs. Consists of a polygonal hall with an oval vestibule on the shoreside, and two square side pavilions joined to it by concave quadrant pilastrades. The vestibule is of 5 bays externally, separated by engaged Corinthian columns over which the entablature breaks. Festooned frieze. Central three bays have glazed double doors with mask keystones. Here the domed roof has 3 glazed oculus dormers, while the domical main roof has bullseye dormers. Delicate iron cresting in the manner of a balustrade. The main roof has a low clerestory with lattice glazing. A plainer cornice carries round the hall. The lower side pavilions have strongly swept mansard roofs with round headed dormers, plain entablatures over Doric pilasters. The pier entrances, in the quadrants, are flanked by engaged Corinthian columns. The detail , a subtle and festive neo-brec, is carried through into the two domed interiors. The Pierhead Pavilion was designed in 1935 by the Borough Architect. It is a handsome and largely unaltered example of the Nautical Style. The shape is a rectangle with rounded ends, with terraces wrapped around a small concert hall. Frame construction clad in metal faced Plymax, using almost continuous glazing of the Crittall type. Asphalt terraces and roofing. Four bay hall with simple proscenium arch surmounted by radiating design. From the outside the main effect is strongly horizontal, created by the projecting decks and cornices. Good mahogany doors which retain some frosted glass panels with wave patterns. Midway Amusement Arcade, 1959, not of special interest on current criteria . ------------------------------------ 1. MARINE PARADE 5406 The Pier TQ 1402 SE 4/270 TQ 1502 SW 6/270 30.7.75 II 2. Originally 1860-62. maimed by Robert Rawlinson for J Cliff of Bradford. 960 ft long. The neck was widened from 15 ft to 30 ft in 1887-9 and the pierhead enlarged to l05 ft. Pier consists of 24 spans of longitudinal lattice girders supported by cast iron trestles end carrying timber joists for the wooden decking. Present buildings (shoreward pavilion, 1926; midway amusement arcade, 1959; and pierhead pavilion, 1935) not of listable interest on current criteria. Owned by local authority. In the descriptive noted for the above entry, the sentence from 'Present buildings ... current criteria.' (lines 4-6) should be amended to read: 'Present buildings are C20 and not of special interest on current criteria.' ------------------------------------------------------------------ MARINE PARADE 1. 5406 The Pier TQ 1402 SE 4/270 TQ 1502 SW 6/270 30.7.75. II 2. originally 1860-62. Designed by Robert Rawlinson for J Cliff of Bradford. 960 ft long. The neck was widened from 15 ft to 30 ft in 1887-9 and the pierhead enlarged to 105 ft. Pier consists of 24 spans of longitudinal lattice girders supported by cast iron trestles and carrying timber joists for the wooden decking. Present buildings (shoreward pavilion, 1926; midway amusement arcade, 1959; and pierhead pavilion, 1935) not of listable interest on current criteria. Owned by local authority.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.