© Mr Robin Earl LRPS
THE OLD PALACE, SOUTH STREET (east side)
WORTHING, WORTHING, WEST SUSSEX
Mr Robin Earl LRPS
10 September 2000
11 October 1949
Date of last amendment:
11 October 2049
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
The Old Palace
TQ 1304 SW 15/58 11.10.49.
Remains of a C13 house with C15 hall, built on the site of Archbishop Becket's
Palace. Converted into the Rectory at the Reformation and since the erection of
the modern Rectory used as the Parish Hall. T-shaped flint and rubble building
with stone quoins and frames to windows and doors. Gable at east end. South
and west sides have buttresses. C15 2-light cinquefoil headed windows with stone
mullions and transoms. C13 lancet window in south wing. Horsham stone slate
roof, the upper portion renewed with red tiles.