© Mr Robin Earl LRPS
ST ANDREW'S CHURCH, VICTORIA ROAD (east side)
WORTHING, WORTHING, WEST SUSSEX
Mr Robin Earl LRPS
03 September 2000
21 May 1976
Date of last amendment:
21 May 1976
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
St Andrew's Church
TQ 1402 NW 1/99
TQ 1403 17/99
1887-8 by Sir Arthur Blomfield. A tall, rather narrow building, of flint with
stone dressings, in Early English style, having its west end set back from Clifton
Road, and extending to the parallel Victoria Road. West fronts apse and flanking
gabled porches below 4 lancets and roundel in gable end. East front: gable with
3 lancets. Interior: painted brick with stone dressings. Wooden roof, lean-to
over aisles, lower and painted over chancel. Nave of 3 broad bays on circular
columns; chancel of 2 taller arches, beyond chancel arch. Transepts, with aisles
but no crossing. Low windows, in groups of 3, to aisles; short pairs of lancets
in clerestorey; tall 4-light windows to transepts; pair of 3-light windows to chancel
aisles. Light, highly carved choir screen and pulpit canopy. Carved wooden reredos
enclosing paintings. Ironwork screen to south-east transept arch.
St Andrew's Church, St Andrew's Church Hall, and St Andrew's Vicarage form a group.