You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 433289  

Print Page



© Mr Robin Earl LRPS

IoE Number: 433289
Location: 52 RICHMOND ROAD
  WORTHING, WORTHING, WEST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr Robin Earl LRPS
Date Photographed: 26 July 2001
Date listed: 06 November 1986
Date of last amendment: 06 November 1986
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

RICHMOND ROAD5406No 52, 52A and 52BTQ 1402 NE3/27

RICHMOND ROAD 1. 5406 No 52, 52A and 52B TQ 1402 NE 3/27 II G.V. House. 1843, by Charles Hide (1810-1876) architect and town surveyor of Worthing. Whitewashed stone rubble, cement render and pebbledash, old tiled roofs. Tudor Gothic style. 2 storeys with attics. Entrance front has 2 4-centred windows at west, one 3 light mullioned and transomed battlemented bay window at east. 2 first floor 2 light casements, one central 2 light casement, one gabled 2 light casement. Central 4-centred arched door with above jettied first floor part timber part painted plaster to imitate studwork bay projection with barge boarded gable. Prominent external chimney breast, corbelled out at first floor 2 twisted stacks. West returned gable has ground floor rectangular bay window, first floor jettied upper gable with painted stud work and elaborate barge boarded gable. Roof hipped at east with battlemented parapet and twisted stacks. 2 storeys wing at canted angle at east has ground floor cross window, first floor 3-light casement, jettied east gable, barge boards. Garden front (north) has returned gable wing at west, large ground floor bay windows. Pebble dashed, slate roofed, 2 storey service wing at rear (No 52A). INTERIOR: 'L' plan ground floor hall with dog-leg staircase with Gothic newels and classical iron balusters. Walls scored for stucco lining, now painted. Doorcases with rusticated surrounds, plaster labels and heads, 3 panel doors with 2 upper 4- centred arches and lower quatrefoil panel tracery. Front door same details with 2 leaded side-lights. Panelled and ribbed ground floor and first floor landing ceiling. Labelled and rusticated opening on half landing. 2 reception rooms of hall with Gothic plaster ceilings, with frieze and cornices, panelled window embrasures. Fireplaces missing throughout. Details in service wing suggest build of same date as house (c1840). An ambitious villa antedating the main development of Worthing, remarkably in a Tudor-Gothic style, picturesquely contrasting with the neighbouring neoclassical villas. Called Gothic Lodge and Tudor Court at various periods. See H Smail Worthing Map Story (1949) p 129 and Edward Snewin and H Smail Glimpses of Old Worthing (1945) p 87; Builder XXXIV, 1876, p 645.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.