You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 433310  

Print Page



© Mr Robin Earl LRPS

IoE Number: 433310
Location: GORING HALL, ILEX WAY
  WORTHING, WORTHING, WEST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr Robin Earl LRPS
Date Photographed: 07 January 2001
Date listed: 17 February 1988
Date of last amendment: 17 February 1988
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WORTHINGILEX WAYTQ 10 SW24/228Goring HallII

WORTHING ILEX WAY TQ 10 SW 24/228 Goring Hall II School, formerly house, c1889 in Queen Anne style, a replica of the earlier house on the site by Charles Barry which was burnt down and identical except that the earlier house was rendered. Built in red brick in Flemish bond. Entrance front of 2 storeys 7 windows. Panelled parapet and cement band. 12 pane sashes with rubbed brick voussoirs and cornices above and wooden jalousies. Closed in porch with round-headed arch with 8 double panelled door with iron fanlight. Garden front has 7 windows, including 3 in central curved bow through both storeys. 2 modern attic windows inserted on left hand side. C20 1 storey brick and cement classroom to left hand side replacing greenhouse. Entrance hall has an elaborate wooden fireplace dated 1889 with the initial L and a tiled surround. 6 panelled doors. Dado panelling with Gothic designs and Jacobean style well staircase. Round-headed staircase window with shield of Bowes-Lyon family and motto "IN TE DOMINE SPERAVI". Lounge has wooden fireplace of early C18 design with the inscription: "HAE AEDES AEDIFICATAE AD 1840 INCENDIO DIRUTAE MON AUG 1888. RESTITUTAE ET EMENDATAE AD 1888-89. Iron fireback with gladiator designs. Dining Room has Jacobean type ceiling with central plasterwork design and wooden Jacobean- style fireplace with tiled surround and iron fireback. The house was built for the Lyon family. Originally it had a tower which has since been demolished.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.