You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 433337  

Print Page



© Mr Robin Earl LRPS

IoE Number: 433337
Location: THE WORTHING TABERNACLE, 64 CHAPEL ROAD
  WORTHING, WORTHING, WEST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr Robin Earl LRPS
Date Photographed: 15 October 2000
Date listed: 02 December 1988
Date of last amendment: 02 December 1988
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

The following building shall be added to the list:CHAPEL ROAD5406TQ 1402 NE 3/272No 64The Worthing Tabernacle

The following building shall be added to the list: CHAPEL ROAD 1. 5406 TQ 1402 NE 3/272 No 64 The Worthing Tabernacle II Nonconformist church and church hall. Thought to have been built in 1897 by Lund but rain water heads are dated 1908. Front of snecked rubble with Bath stone dressings. Other elevations are of stock brick with red brick dressings. Slate roof. West front has central gable with cross-shaped saddlestone flanked by octagonal pinnacles dying into 1st floor square buttresses with inset columns and buttresses to ground floor. Central rose window with 6 trefoliated headed lancets and quatrefoil band below. Stone band between floors. Ground floor has central triple round-headed window flanked by single round-headed windows, all connected by hood moulding. Wings have double mullioned window to 1st floor and gabled entrances with round headed arches with engaged granite columns. 8 light fanlight with Art Nouveau glazing and double plank doors with large decorative hinges. Side elevations are of stock brick in Flemish bond with red brick dessings. 2 gables with 3 lancets each to 1st floor connected by hood moulding and casements to ground floor with dogtooth moulded stone voussoirs above. Church hall at rear is in similar materials with 2 gables. Interior has 2 bays supported on tall iron plumed capitals. Round-headed chancel arch with granite column, pendants. Large curved wooden pulpit supported on 2 twisted columns with 2 curved staircases with elaborate iron railings. East rose window with stained glass floral panes. Side walls have triple lancet windows interrupted by the balcony with kingfisher roundels at the top. West window has floral decoration. Curved wooden balcony with diagonally placed boarding quatrefoil carving and brattishing. Original iron lamp brackets attached. Vertical dado-panelling. Walls of gallery have original iron lamp brackets. Original curved wooden pews. Unusual roof structure boarded with modified curved braces held together with iron tie rods. Rear vestibule has fireplace with Art Nouveau pomegranite motif and staircase to Minister's office has elaborate cast iron balusters and scrolled tread ends. Front vestibule has elaborate cast iron balusters to staircase and double doors with elaborate brass handles and art nouveau tracery.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.