You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 433341  

Print Page



© Mr Robin Earl LRPS

IoE Number: 433341
Location: JUPPS BARN, GORING WAY (south side)
  WORTHING, WORTHING, WEST SUSSEX
Photographer: Mr Robin Earl LRPS
Date Photographed: 28 January 2001
Date listed: 31 January 1989
Date of last amendment: 31 January 1989
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

The following building shall be added to the list.WORTHINGGORING WAYTQ 10 SW(south side)

The following building shall be added to the list. WORTHING GORING WAY TQ 10 SW (south side) 24/235 JUPPS BARN II Barn, now church hall, and attached farmbuilding, now outbuilding. Aisle post dated "MH 1771"; mid-late C20 attractions. Coursed flint-stone with red brick dressings; pantile roof. 5-bay barn with rear aisle; former farmbuilding attached to rear left. Brick quoins to angles, cart-entry and slit vents. Central cart-entry masked by C20 porch which has double board door with strap hinges; former cart entry has timber posts with iron hooks from former doors and C20 small-pane glazing at top. Flanking cart entry are 2 tiers of vents, 3 to each level. Hipped roof. Returns: 2 over 2 vents; right return partly masked by attached church (not included in listing). Rear: central gabled cart porch, entry now blocked in cobblestone and with added bell under canopy. To right an inserted doorway. Former farmbuilding attached and projecting on right has board door on right and 2 C20 small-pane casements, the openings with C20 timber lintels but old brick jambs and sloping tile window sills; roof hipped on right. Interior barn; original timberwork complete, including aisle posts (one with date) on padstones; straight brace to arcade plate and tie beams; queen strut roof trusses; staggered butt purlins; old rafters. The barn is recorded as having been built in 1771 for George Jupp, farmer (The Story of Goring and Highdown, p31).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.