You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 433548  

Print Page



©  Les Kerry

IoE Number: 433548
Location: 11 BRICK STREET (north side)
  WESTMINSTER, CITY OF WESTMINSTER, GREATER LONDON
Photographer: Les Kerry
Date Photographed: 27 August 2001
Date listed: 26 October 1994
Date of last amendment: 26 October 1994
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

WESTMINSTERBRICK STREETTQ2880SE1900- /80/10063(North side)No.11

WESTMINSTER BRICK STREET TQ2880SE 1900- /80/10063 (North side) No.11 GV II GV Former stables and coach house, now garaging. 1882-3 by James Brooks for the Marquis of Londonderry. Red brick with rubbed brick and terracotta dressings, slate roof with high stacks on front elevation. Courtyard plan, with carriage entrance in centre of a front elevation intended to provide ground-floor accommodation for the stable hands and a first-floor suite for the coach man. Separate block to right formerly housing loose boxes, with coach house to rear. Narrow range to left originally also stables, now garaging and with extended modern canopy of no interest. Street elevation of seven bays with central carriage entrance under terracotta Gibbs surround with decorated keystone and three-light terracotta oriel. Double doors with decorative ironwork in open panels. Circular window to right, the other fenestration comprises 8 and 12-light sashes under segmental heads with keystone. To rear of this block elaborate Dutch gables with pyramidal tops, that to centre with moulded brick niches and the arms of the Marquis of Londonderry surmounting altered window. Similar gables with ball finials and original glazing to western elevation. One door with elaborate shell hood. interiors retain some teak doors, moulded glazed tilework and cast iron columns. Source The Builder, 17 February 1883, p.207.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.