© Michael Bass
CHURCH OF ST MICHAEL, CHURCH LANE (north side)
BRENT KNOLL, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
15 August 2003
09 February 1961
Date of last amendment:
09 February 1961
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST35SW BRENT KNOLL CP CHURCH LANE (North side)
5/30 Church of St Michael
Parish Church. C11, C14, C15; C19 restoration. Coursed and squared rubble, lead sheeting roofs, slate to chancel, coped
verges, cruciform finials. Nave, chancel, North aisle, South porch, South transcept now a vestry, west tower.
Predominantly Perpendicular. Three stage tower of c1400 with set-back buttresses, pierced parapet, pinnacles, stair
turret, triple 2-light bell-chamber openings, those to each side blank; gargoyles; West door; renewed 5-light West
window. Norman South doorway with chevron decoration, early C14 porch. C14 South transept with an ogee-headed West
lancet. C15 North aisle of 6 bays, pierced parapet, pinnacles, gargoyles; inside an arcade with piers of 4-waves
moulding, panelled lean-to roof on angel corbels. C15 nave with a wagon roof, reused bosses and corbels in what is
essentially Victorian. C19 chancel. Reused Cll pillar piscina to North aisle. Very Important C14/C15 pews with tracery,
poppey heads and figures; particularly those on the South side of the nave with 3 allegorical panels representing the
punishment of Reynard the Fox in the attire of an abbot. Large painted wall monument in nave to John Somerset of 1663
with three 3-quarter figures, 2 reliefs, twisted columns and a pediment. C11 quatrefoil font, C19 cover. Pulpit of
1637, Jacobean coffin-stool and chair. Medieval parish chest. 3 C19 wall monuments. Royal arms. C19 stained-glass, the
chancel has encaustic tiles and a painted reredos. C19 West gallery incorporating an organ. (Church Guide; N Pevsner,
Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).