You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 433659  

Print Page


No Image Available

IoE Number: 433659
Location: HAWKSWORTH HALL, HAWKSWORTH LANE (north side)
  YEADON AND GUISELEY, LEEDS, WEST YORKSHIRE
Photographer: N/A
Date Photographed: N/A
Date listed: 19 October 1962
Date of last amendment: 19 October 1962
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

AIREBOROUGHHAWKSWORTH LANESE 14 SELS 20(north side)Guiseley4/51Hawksworth Hall

AIREBOROUGH HAWKSWORTH LANE SE 14 SE LS 20 (north side) Guiseley 4/51 Hawksworth Hall 19.10.1962 - II* Large house, now residential school. Built by the Hawksworth family, probably in the early C16, with large additions in mid to later C17, alterations in C18; dated 1611 internally and 1664 on chimney of east wing, with re-located datestone "1669" in kitchen to rear of this wing. Coursed dressed sandstone (coursed squared rubble at rear), stone slate roofs. Composite plan, comprising original hall-and-cross-wings house on east-west axis, with added hall-range on same axis to the east, and 2 crosswings to east end of this. Two storeys; long and irregular facade with original east crosswing (now slightly left of centre), altered as porch and entrance hall; left of this the surviving features of the original hall range are a recessed mullioned window of 5 round-headed lights at 1st floor, and a 2-storey gabled bay (or oriel) in the angle with the west wing; this bay has dripmoulds on 2 levels, remains of pilasters at ground floor (C18 window between these), at 1st floor a transomed 5-light window with round-headed upper lights, and ridge gable coping with kneelers and an apex finial. The additions to the right are a longer hall range flush with the unequally-gabled 2 east wings, which have gable coping with kneelers, (that to inner ridged). The principal C18 alterations are the addition of a 2-storey canted bay to the front of the west wing, with a hipped roof; a pedimented doorway to the former east wing, with cornice on scrolled brackets run out over side windows; and vertical rectangular windows with moulded architraves, that over the door with a cornice over it, mostly 16-pane sashes, but those on the outer east wing cross-windows with arched lights (probably C19). The masonry of the main range incoporates the jambs of some former windows. The return wall of the west wing has a large external chimney stack. The return wall of the east wing, which is longer, has blocked former windows on 3 levels towards the front, a high chamfered plinth interrupted by later openings, and at 1st floor of the further end two 3-light mullioned windows with round-headed lights. The rear has, inter alia, a large external chimney stack towards the west end of the original hall, a tripartite stair window in the gable of the original east wing, and multiple-light mullioned windows at 1st floor beneath the eaves on either side of this. Interior; principal feature of interest is Great Chamber at 1st floor of original hall which has a segmental-vaulted ceiling with elaborate moulded plaster geometric decoration of squares and diamonds with vine pattern and central pendant, the tympanum at the west end containing the royal coat of arms and that at the east end the Hawksworth arms and date 1611, the arms flanked respectively by figures of Temperancia, Fortitudo, Prudentia and Iustitia; cornice and frieze with griffons and masks, muntin-and-rail panelling; and a large moulded Tudor-arched stone fireplace in the rear wall, with wooden surround of fluted pliasters and arcaded overmantel. In the east wing, C17 panelling in several rooms and contemporary staircase; in entrance hall, C18 open-well staircase with open string and 2 balusters per tread; various panelled doors with shouldered architraves. References: RCHM West Yorks, pp64, 73, 96, and 198, RCHM Report in West Yorks Arch. Unit, Wakefield.

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.