© Michael Bass
CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, VICTORIA STREET (west side)
BURNHAM ON SEA AND HIGHBRIDGE, SEDGEMOOR, SOMERSET
02 March 2001
17 February 1949
Date of last amendment:
17 February 2049
The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.
ST34SW BURNHAM-ON-SEA CP VICTORIA STREET (West side)
8/51 Church of St. Andrew
Parish Church. C14, C15, C19. Coursed and squared rubble, lead and slate roofs, coped verges with cruciform finials.
Nave with a South porch and a South chapel, West tower, North aisle, chancel with a vestry. Mainly Perpendicular.
South chapel c1315 when church 'funditur', 2-light South window, each light with a cinquefoiled head, below it 2
cinquefoiled tomb recesses, effigies removed. Also early C14 the South doorway and door, the latter reused on the
porch; adjacent the doorway a contemporary stoup with a finial. Late C14 tower with set-back buttresses, battlements,
topping stair turret, 2-light bell chamber windows; 4-light West window; contemporary the tower arch with wave
mouldings; that to South chapel similar. The nave of late C14/early C15 much remodelled, 3 bays, 3-light windows; 5
bay North aisle all of 1838, galleried, in a Perpendicular style, parapet with battlements. Chancel arch also rebuilt
1838; chancel remodelled 1878; 2-light windows, 3-light East window. Salient interior feature the remains of the
Whitehall Altar; commissioned 1686 by James II from Grinling Gibbons and Quellin for the chapel of Whitehall Palace.
Removed to Westminster Abbey c1710, and to Burnham c1820; dismembered late C19 to form a reredos; 3 cherubs removed to
North aisle, the large flanking angels on pedestals now under the tower. Furniture includes a much remodelled Jacobean
pulpit; branch of 1773, C19 pews, choir stalls, font and altar rail; organ of 1885 by Vowles of Bristol. Tablet of 1598
under the tower to Austin Bord; 5 further C19 wall monuments, the most elaborate to Reed family in the nave. Lean- to
roof to North aisle; barrel roof to nave; arch-braced roof to chancel. Some remains of medieval glass to South-West
window of nave; remainder of stained glass C19. Remains of a pre-reformation altar stone to the South chapel, roused
in the C19 as a grave stone. Three painted plaques to the vestry commemorating local charities of the C17/C18.
Jacobean communion table, Jacobean chair. C18 painting of Christ to North aisle. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South
and West Somerset, 1958).