You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 434037  

Print Page



© Mr Bob Manekshaw LRPS

IoE Number: 434037
Location: CHURCH OF ST PHILIP,
  ROLLRIGHT, WEST OXFORDSHIRE, OXFORDSHIRE
Photographer: Mr Bob Manekshaw LRPS
Date Photographed: 31 August 2002
Date listed: 27 August 1957
Date of last amendment: 27 August 1957
Grade II*

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

ROLLRIGHTLITTLE ROLLRIGHTSP23SE1/139Church of St. Philip27/08/57

ROLLRIGHT LITTLE ROLLRIGHT SP23SE 1/139 Church of St. Philip 27/08/57 GV II* Church. Chancel probably early C13, altered C15; nave C16; tower built (or rebuilt) 1617 for William Blower. Limestone ashlar, coursed squared marlstone with limestone-ashiar dressings, and some render; concrete plain-tile roofs. Chancel, nave, west tower and south porch. Rendered chancel retains shallow C13 buttresses but has fine 3-light C15 windows to south, with 4-centre-arched heads, Perpendicular drop tracery and scrolled hood stops; a further 3-light window to east has lozenge stops and is set within a casement moulding. Ashlar south wall of nave has a wide square-headed 5-light window with arched lights, hollow-chamfered mullions and recessed spandrels; the label mould has lozenge stops. The south doorway and the entrance to the small porch have shallow chamfered Tudor arches. Marlstone tower, with stepped diagonal buttresses and a crenellated parapet with small corner pinnacles, has a west window of 2 arched hollow-chamfered lights below a label and has similar bell-chamber openings; a wall tablet, framed by Ionic columns, has a shield of arms, the date 1617 and the inscription "WILLIAM BLO(?)/ESQVIER LORD OF/THIS MANOR BV/(?) THIS TOWER". Interior: both splays of the east window have moulded image brackets on tall pedestals and elaborate crocketed canopies. Early-C13 chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders has impost-capitals returning as strings. Wide chamfered tower arch may be earlier than 1617. Simple roofs are C18/early C19. Above the tower arch are traces of wall paintings. Fittings include late-C17 barleytwist communion rails, a small font on a tall panelled stem (probably C17) and a C19 stone pulpit. 2 large canopied monuments in the chancel commemorate members of the Dixon family. The earlier (probably early C17) is in painted stone with Ionic columns, obelisks, an achievement of arms and strapwork enclosing a vase of flowers and an hour glass on a skull; the full-length recumbent effigy is in armour. The monument to Edward Dixon and his 2 wives (c.1650) is in alabaster and black marble, and has the 3 figures kneeling around a prayer desk in a recess flanked by black Corinthian columns; the front panel is incised with the kneeling figures of 10 children. (Buildings of England: Oxfordshire: p690)

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.