You are here: Home > Details for IoE Number: 434661  

Print Page

© Mr John Barker

IoE Number: 434661
Photographer: Mr John Barker
Date Photographed: 11 November 2004
Date listed: 24 March 1961
Date of last amendment: 24 March 1961
Grade II

The Images of England website consists of images of listed buildings based on the statutory list as it was in 2001 and does not incorporate subsequent amendments to the list. For the statutory list and information on the current listed status of individual buildings please go to The National Heritage List for England.

PITCOMBE CPST63SEMILL LANE (WEST SIDE)5/259Church of Saint Leonard24.3.61

PITCOMBE CP ST63SE MILL LANE (WEST SIDE) 5/259 Church of Saint Leonard 24.3.61 GV II Church. Cl5 tower, remainder rebuilt 1858. Architect G E Street. Tower local stone with ashlar dressings, remainder Cary stone with Doulting dressings; Welsh slate roofs between coped gables with cross finials. 4 cell plan of 2 bay chancel, 3 bay nave and North aisle, and North East vestry, with South porch and West tower. Chancel has plinth, stepped cill course and offset corner buttresses; C19 traceried pointed arched windows of 3 lights to East, and one and 2-lights to South. Nave has recessed C15 style traceried windows in South wall; North aisle has Quasi-plate tracery windows of 2 and 3 lights; both have buttresses between bays. Tower of 4 stages, with full height angled offset corner buttresses, plinth string courses, crenellated parapets with corner pinnacles, middle and corner gargoyles; moulded 4 centre arch West door with flat label over; above, cutting into second stage, a 3-light C15 traceried window in slight recess, string course angled as label; to all faces stage 4 a 2-light C15 traceried window with timber louvres; hexagonal plan staircase turret 3 stages high on North East side; single cusped light window in deep recess, without label, stage 3 South side. Interior mostly in a late C13 style. Good limewood panel set into oak panel reredos; Norman tub font set on later base; C15 panelled tower arch; fragments of medieval glass in West tower window; few Cl7 bench ends in North aisle. Probably of C12 foundation, the church served by monks from Bruton Priory until the dissolution. (Pevsner, Buildings of England, South and West Somerset, 1958).

Please note that the inclusion of a listed building on this website does not mean it is open to the public.